The New MKI Tone Bender+ More at the NAMM show w/ Photos!

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

DiscoFreq

Re: The New MKI Tone Bender+ More at the NAMM show w/ Photos!

Post by DiscoFreq »

The Captain wrote:
analogguru wrote:Last riddle for even a stupid salesman:

In which two of the three drawings below can you recognize more similarities:
1 and 2 ?
or 2 and 3 ?
Its 2 and 3 right? :badteeth: :hihi: Joking aside that is a really great visual aid even for a non-techy type! Nice one AG.
Yes, this is great information!

With some of those you could easily make 1 pedal with a big rotating selector knob (with lots of poles) to switch between lots of dirt pedals :D

FZ-1 designer: Glen Snotty
EffectsDatabase: http://www.effectsdatabase.com
26000 pedals, 4000 brands
1bottlerocket

Post by 1bottlerocket »

DiscoFreq wrote:
With some of those you could easily make 1 pedal with a big rotating selector knob (with lots of poles) to switch between lots of dirt pedals :D

FZ-1 designer: Glen Snotty
Yes!
Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
-Garfunk M. Rafferty
imlikeajungle

Post by imlikeajungle »

DiscoFreq wrote:1 pedal with a big rotating selector knob (with lots of poles) to switch between lots of dirt pedals :D
Now THAT's an idea for a CS run!
DiscoFreq

Post by DiscoFreq »

imlikeajungle wrote:
DiscoFreq wrote:1 pedal with a big rotating selector knob (with lots of poles) to switch between lots of dirt pedals :D
Now THAT's an idea for a CS run!
I often thought about something like this, like when I saw a list of all the different values in muffs from different years.

Those rotary switches are usually stacked, so can take some poles from one switch and add it to another to get enough poles for every component or part of circuit you want to switch.

I have a lot of plans, but I still need to start somewhere (learning & building), like with building one of all those kits I bought...
EffectsDatabase: http://www.effectsdatabase.com
26000 pedals, 4000 brands
API

Post by API »

analogguru wrote:Folks, I am off this worthless discussion - I think I am totally misplaced here....

Better when I use my time to make some golden-coloured cases, put a tubescreamer-circuit inside and sell it to you for big money as a "Tonebender MkI Repro" - because I have learned now, that it doesn´t matter what´s inside the case.

If the people at MG don´t know the difference between a MkI (= Maestro Fuzz Tone clone) and a TB MkII - which are two totally different circuits - they are free to hire a qualified technician to sort this out. All necessary informations are freely available on the net, especially here.

If for you there is no difference between a Fuzztone and a MkII then there will be also no difference between one of them and a toobscreamer - good to know.

Gary Hurst was not that big "designer" as he is treated now, the transistor-stage he added to Dick Denneys circuit - I wrote about that matter in another thread - can be found in every textbook of this era. Gary Hurst was only popular for answering "technical" questions for noobies in a music magazine - therefore his name had some value for salesmen.

I am pretty sure he has never seen a MkI when he started working for Vox/Sola so he couldn´t have modded it in the meantime.

Watch out for my "Tonbender MkI Repros" with toobscreamer-innards.

analogguru
Honestly, was this realy neccesary?
Why the big drama??
Are we going to make this a shit throwing contest like on every other forum out there???

Why are you making the accusation that Gary did not design the Mk I pedal?
If you have the facts, show them, do not make assumptions and try to spread even more rumours, there is enough of that already.

And who said that there is no difference between the Mk I and Mk II?
Why are you trying to be smart here?
All I am saying is that MG is the reseller of this pedal, they do not make them, Gary does.
They get the info from Gary that this is a Mk I pedal so why should they not believe him?
Who knows what Gary remembers at this point, and who knows what circuit is in Garys original Mk I?
It could have been changed a 100 times by him experimenting and trying out circuits.
The fact is that we do not know, not me, not you, maybe not even Gary, but I am trying my best to find out.

It is unfortunate that Gary is selling these through MG since they sometimes have a problem with the truth, but I guess that it is convinient for him, and also he is old friends with Rick Harrison.

And regarding the wooden Tonebender Mk I Gary told that it was only made for a week or two.
His brother was making the wooden cases for him and got tired of making them as the demand increased.
Then they moved over to the metal cases that they had made up for them.
Not sure about the circuit in the wooden TB, but I am trying to find out that as well.

Dennis
starlingbrothers

Post by starlingbrothers »

API wrote:Who knows what Gary remembers at this point, and who knows what circuit is in Garys original Mk I?
It could have been changed a 100 times by him experimenting and trying out circuits.
The fact is that we do not know, not me, not you, maybe not even Gary, but I am trying my best to find out.
Not sure about the circuit in the wooden TB, but I am trying to find out that as well. Dennis
Many thanks for your efforts on finding out the truth from Gary and hope that he remembers lots that you can relate back to us :tu:
Philip

Post by Philip »

The ''who knows what Gary remembers'' and ''who knows whats in Gary's original pedal'' and that he might just see it as a Tone Bender are very valid points.

His original could have been used for testing other circuits later on etc etc.

Anyway I still think MG are fully aware of what they are selling and are intentionally deceiving people, but eek, I re-read this thread and all I've done is bitch about them... I think we get the point, sorry about that! :oops:
japanese_collector

Post by japanese_collector »

Philip wrote:The ''who knows what Gary remembers'' and ''who knows whats in Gary's original pedal'' and that he might just see it as a Tone Bender are very valid points.

His original could have been used for testing other circuits later on etc etc.

Anyway I still think MG are fully aware of what they are selling and are intentionally deceiving people, but eek, I re-read this thread and all I've done is bitch about them... I think we get the point, sorry about that! :oops:
Honest Captain as moral value gold standard spoil D*A*M friend to deal for other seller !
Philip

Post by Philip »

japanese_collector wrote: Honest Captain as moral value gold standard spoil D*A*M friend to deal for other seller !
:hmm:
JP30

Post by JP30 »

at D*A*M, we are all trated as VIP GOLD members. we are spoiled for sure.

starlingbrothers wrote:
API wrote:Who knows what Gary remembers at this point, and who knows what circuit is in Garys original Mk I?
Not sure about the circuit in the wooden TB, but I am trying to find out that as well. Dennis
Many thanks for your efforts on finding out the truth from Gary and hope that he remembers lots that you can relate back to us :tu:
it would be so cool just to talk to him, not just about tonebenders, but whole music gear stuff from his days !!
and please tell him to keep making more fuzzboxes, mk1 or mk2 or mk-whatever, I want more !!

I wonder if he can tell us about yet another controversial topic, Page fuzz . . better not... thing are kinda getting too edgy around here lately, we need no more NEG vibe.

And I hope that You are not too offended by the way we are behaving. some of us are overly enthusiastic about tonebenders .. :party: