JOHN HORNBY SKEWES & CO - JHS (Data Dump)

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

theemadcap1

Re: JOHN HORNBY SKEWES & CO - JHS (Data Dump)

Post by theemadcap1 »

I actually heard from someone who guitar-teched for Blackmore that in fact he used a "Bass Booster"...? I wonder if Graham can confirm it sounds nicer?
Seems like this 'Horn Blower could be the 'step up' Booster...
Electric Warrior

Post by Electric Warrior »

At least it looks like an extremely souped up version..
Everything is transitional.
Vitreous

Post by Vitreous »

Bumping an ancient thread here, but do we have any idea what those speaker-looking things are in the Hornblower?
walkingtiger

Post by walkingtiger »

Thank you for bumping, this is an awesome thread. Did Graham ever release the JHS book?
1bottlerocket

Post by 1bottlerocket »

walkingtiger wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:28 pm Thank you for bumping, this is an awesome thread. Did Graham ever release the JHS book?
I don't think Graham is ever going to release anything. He had a lot of great ideas and interest from several large magazine publications and financing interests but it never went anywhere. I was doing studio photo work and book design templates for him and I think Bart was doing web development but everything fizzled. I never heard anything back after a while.

I have messaged him over the years but I never get a reply. I am not sure of the status of his gear collection but I know from personal experience that it is substantial. If I remember correctly he sold off a few Park amps. I would like to get my hands on a couple of his Watkins and Vox amps but I am sure those are staying put.
Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
-Garfunk M. Rafferty
walkingtiger

Post by walkingtiger »

1bottlerocket wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:18 pm
walkingtiger wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:28 pm Thank you for bumping, this is an awesome thread. Did Graham ever release the JHS book?
I don't think Graham is ever going to release anything. He had a lot of great ideas and interest from several large magazine publications and financing interests but it never went anywhere. I was doing studio photo work and book design templates for him and I think Bart was doing web development but everything fizzled. I never heard anything back after a while.

I have messaged him over the years but I never get a reply. I am not sure of the status of his gear collection but I know from personal experience that it is substantial. If I remember correctly he sold off a few Park amps. I would like to get my hands on a couple of his Watkins and Vox amps but I am sure those are staying put.
Ah right on, that’s a bummer! Sounds like a lot of pressure amounting all at once for him. I’ve seen a bit of his collection scattered around the internet over the years, but a comprehensive book would have been super cool. Never say never though :)

Have you worked on any other books or websites? I’m assuming you shoot professionally and would love to see your work if you have anything to share! I used to shoot a bit of still life in the studio and often think about jumping back in with fuzz pedals.
1bottlerocket

Post by 1bottlerocket »

I am an elementary school teacher nowadays. My background is in design and architecture. I also worked as a newspaper photographer for a couple of years so I have studio experience.

I did some work for Stephenson amps in Canada. He still has a couple of photos that I took for him but when he did a website redesign I think he took the new photos himself. It's pretty easy to tell which photos are professionally shot and which he did.
Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
-Garfunk M. Rafferty