Sovtek Big Muffs...

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

kristo

Re: Sovtek Big Muffs...

Post by kristo »

my all time geetar hero Dan Auerbach of The Black Keys uses a Green Sovtek Big Muff. I want one so bad!
JP30

Post by JP30 »

kristo wrote:my all time geetar hero Dan Auerbach of The Black Keys uses a Green Sovtek Big Muff. I want one so bad!
Maybe that's who Vis was talking about! :geek:
The black keys !! . . i only have one fo their album . . Magic Portion . . it's really good.

I have to say that 70's ramhead is my Favorite muff for now, but I have to try out the Civilwar muff.

((Anyone makes clones ? may be . . .the Captain will ??))
the_original_mr_nice

Post by the_original_mr_nice »

The Green Sovtek Big Muff is raw, raucous and rebellious and destroys all monsters. Not one to be dropped on someone from a great height as it's a weighty pedal. Lovely with a Fender bass and it just looks so cool with the green metal that could have come from a Soviet T-34 tank. And it's big and chunky and fat and will take up far too much 'real estate' on a pedalboard. This is one for a stage and jumping on it and none of this noncey neatly ordered effects carefully placed on pedalboards with expensive cables and superquiet power supplies. No this is rawk and roll, baby.....
Creepyfingers

Post by Creepyfingers »

Green Muffs rule,

From my experience I think they are waay better than the late 70's Muffs. Although I like the early 80's ones too. I'm pretty curious about their no name transistors. The tone stack is really smooth and mellow too. Not just 2 useless extremes with one sweet spot.

--Brad
JP30

Post by JP30 »

When was the original civilwar muff produced ?
I thought the Russian civilwar muff were from 70's....

I am confused . . .

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0291030192
Civilwar / Blue russian Muff on the E-Bay, not as attractive as one that Mr Picard posted down in BUY/Sell area...

This one says it is reissue . .. ???. . . :headpop:
cubba

Post by cubba »

JP30 wrote:When was the original civilwar muff produced ?
I thought the Russian civilwar muff were from 70's....

I am confused . . .

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0291030192
Civilwar / Blue russian Muff on the E-Bay, not as attractive as one that Mr Picard posted down in BUY/Sell area...

This one says it is reissue . .. ???. . . :headpop:

JP

They were built in the 90's.

The Russian Muffs are reissues of the pedals that came out in the 70's/80's.

E-H went out of business temporarily, hence the reissue.
What gets me is all the tweaking,
just crank that bitch and be done with it! -- duende
JP30

Post by JP30 »

cubba wrote: JP
They were built in the 90's.
The Russian Muffs are reissues of the pedals that came out in the 70's/80's.
E-H went out of business temporarily, hence the reissue.
Thank you Cubba. . .
for some reason, I been believing that the Russian Muffs came out in 70's or 80's... :|

if they are all from 90's. . . I have to wonder why all the Russian Muffs that I see on the E-Bay look so rough and Beat UP? like they been abused for 30 years... :hmm:
vls

Post by vls »

I think there are two problems with this old russian muffs, one is small and that is the paint that is crap, the green specially is a laugh and that is the first reason why they look so beated, but that is just the paint all the rest is rock solid, well the imput jacks... you better be carefull, the other is huge and is the bypass that is among the worst ever built, so or you change it to true bypass, and that is not an option for me, or you run it thru a 15USD pedal loop like i do and everything gets perfect. Also when a thing looks so used and beated means basically a thing: it is good, and that is why someone used it so much for so long, this things really sound good.
ultar

Post by ultar »

a huge army green sovtek big muff just came in the mail for me today.

i've only had about a half hour playing time with it so far but it's pretty great. very long sustain, a huge low end, and much more clarity than the current (shitty) black russian muffs. i might modify it to add more midrange but otherwise it is killer!

it's also one of the coolest looking pedals of all time.
Acid Age Electronics- http://www.facebook.com/acidage13
Creepyfingers

Post by Creepyfingers »

If you're into modding you probably already know about his site but if not check out jack Orman's http://www.muzique.com site. he has lots of ideas for modifying the tone section of big muffs...

--Brad