WEM (WATKINS ELECTRIC MUSIC) PROJECT V FUZZ

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

Graham

WEM (WATKINS ELECTRIC MUSIC) PROJECT V FUZZ

Post by Graham »

AN TRULY OUTSTANDING FUZZ EFFECT WHY IT APPEARS TO HAVE NEVER BEEN "PROPERLY COMMERCIALLY" DEVELOPED IS TOTALLY BEYOND ME!!

Maybe there were patent infringements or it was just too costly to build - hopefully as time goes by we will get answers to the questions this remarkable pedal throws up!!

Unless people responding to this thread can shed some further light on it (my deepest hope) - We will just have to include it amongst those seemingly crazy anomalies - dead ends if you like - in the evolutionary development of excellent fuzztone - to my mind (and ears) it's exactly up there alongside the Burns Baldwin Buzzaround in its being an inexplicably unexploited opportunity.

Like some of our most beloved (and in the long term most influential) guitarists - those whose fame burnt oh so brilliantly for such a desperately short time and yet live on in our hearts - this is one of those pedals that in my humble opinion had the potential to make its mark on the entire history of British Rock music.....

I fully appreciate that these are extreme terms of praise and descriptive honorifics - I also hope most sincerely that I am not given to just throwing such praise about freely - at least I truly hope that my recommendations and opinions on these earlier fuzz pedals are not considered too freely given - or worse yet inaccurate by you guys who get to read them. Amongst the hundreds of pedals I have been lucky enough to own or play through, there have been only a mere handful of pedals that have had such an impact on me and really only two - this one and the Buzzaround which defy my ability to explain their apparent commercial failure.

I will make it a particular aim of mine to ensure that this pedal is put into the hands of someone here who can provide a decent recording or two so you guys can see what I am banging on about - because frankly the chances of ever finding one for yourself are effectively zero - I have seen two of the Pepe Rush pedals which come in the same hugely elongated case (13 x 4 inches) and managed to buy one of those - the pictures are already posted here (I'll have to check - if they didn't make it over from the old site then I will correct that error). With the Pep version I was taken aback by the tiny size of the board itself and the surplus of "real estate" that surrounded it - this one is the exact opposite - its a real job to get the case apart things are so tightly packed inside!!

I intend to place more than the usual number of pictures up here as I am really hoping that some of youtechnical types can make some observations on the design - in many ways it resembles (tonally at least) some of the earlier Shin-Ei fuzzes or some of the earlier output of the Italian Pescara factory - but those "Drive" and "Edge" sliders open up a whole different world!!

I believe I know my way around early British Fuzz pedals pretty well and also think that I have a working knowledge of much of the early American and Japanese "competition" as well as some of the mainland European (mainly Italian) fuzzes - but must say this chap eludes me....

Doubtless there will be more to come - I have found out quite a lot about it - and its relationship (to an extent) with the "Project Four" and Guitar-Organs that Charlie Watkins and his people put so much effort into.

This afternoon I had an interesting phone call with a delightful lady called June - Mrs Charley Watkins that is! and despite being enormously busy with running their still thriving Accordion business - she was only too pleased to put up with my demands on her time! - Charley himself is unfortunately
not around until the end of the month but I have arranged to have a "chat" once an opportunity makes itself available. I am also following down other leads of people who she suggested would be in a position to help me in my "quest" - I don't mind telling you all that I was absolutely chuffed to bits after that phone call!

Hopefully it also goes without saying that as I discover more I will (unless asked to maintain confidences) share such info here - as well as in my "hoped for" fuzz book!!

Well here are some pics to be getting on with - I will save comments on them until afterwards.

Cheers Graham

Graham

Re: WEM (WATKINS ELECTRIC MUSIC) PROJECT V FUZZ

Post by Graham »

Philip

Post by Philip »

Wow Graham you really are frinding the oddest pedals!

Although it looks strange, the design seems pretty clever, no risk of those knobs etc getting damaged by over excited footswitch stamping. Unless someone gets freaky with a cuban heel. :badteeth:

Looks like similar components were used in the preamp of my Triumph amp.

I'd love to make some sound clips of it! :badlove: :shocked:

Although I,m sure Dave, if he has time, could do some great clips and at the same time work out whats going on inside. :tu:
Last edited by Philip on Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kb892

Post by kb892 »

Holy moly! What are there? 7 transistors in that beast?!? That looks (and sounds) like a pedal that could use a revival Fuzzaround style!

make that 8!
Graham

Post by Graham »

SORRY FOR THE BIG LOAD TIMES BUT I WANTED TO SHOW AS MUCH AS I COULD - DIDNT HAVE THE NERVE YET TO "SPRING" THE BOARD AND REVEAL HER UNDIES!! BUT SHE HAS 7 X BC108B's AND 1 X BC186 (with an M3 on the end of the designation - date - who knows maybe theres a BC186 M3 (the M3xwas a pretty cool motor!! My mate usedto hace one and I got to borrow her a few times - prefer the pedal!!)

So we have an 8 transistor setup (sure I recall from somewhere or other that there was an 8 tranny super fuzz (shin-ei) circuit - my memory isnt that good - Ill let you "tinkerers" talk it over!! -

I am though going to stick one set of 6 pics of the Pepe Rush here so you can compare them (not that theres any comparison beyond the casing )- It still uses the red painted steel affair along with the wooden framing - although as with the development on the Watkins / WEM amplifiers the Logo / Facia had changed too - now being screenprinted onto metal as opposed to a "raised" lettered WEM in painted "cast" plastic glued onto a wooden base - just that bit more modernistic in looks!! At the closing of the sixties "modernising" and the use of "newer" materials was all the thing!! About the time this pedal came out (I'm guessing around 1970 - 72) I used to wear platform boots which added an extra five or six inches to my already six two!! made an ideal match (that kind of footwear) for these long pedals - who here is old enough to remember the early Morley ads??

G
sir h c

Post by sir h c »

The superfuzz has 6 transistors, the fuzz-wah version adds 2 for the wah. It looks like there are two transistors there in the middle with the trim pot that are adding an octave effect in there. That is a ton of transistors for a fuzz, never seen that much stuff going on.
Creepyfingers

Post by Creepyfingers »

Yo

What a monster. That is a lot of components for a two knob fuzz for sure. That's also easily the largest Electro cap I've seen in a pedal. Must be using some of their amp components in there.

--Brad
blungo2

Post by blungo2 »

Amazing! I can't decide if that's the most beautiful thing or the weirdest thing i've seen.
What a device!
gururyan

Post by gururyan »

I want to hear that.
I want to feel that.
I want to touch that.
Ryan

They talk of my drinking but never my thirst.
JP30

Post by JP30 »

Wha... that is the longest pedal I'v ever seen...
I wish mine was that long. :oops:

and 8 transistors??
if you were to group this pedal sonically, where would it fall into??

gururyan wrote:I want to hear that.
I want to feel that.
I want to touch that.
+1

Please ship it to the Captain... may be he will do
D*A*M PROJECT V :party: