Klon Centaur Opinions

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

Shannon Byrds

Klon Centaur Opinions

Post by Shannon Byrds »

Hey Guys,

I have the opportunity to purchase a Gold Klon Centaur and/or a Roland Bee Baa from a friend of mine but wanted to gather some opinions from you as I trust your opinions and with that sort of money it wouldn't hurt to get some helpful support.

From what i've heard of the Centaurs they're either great or overrated and i've got a Black Cat Bee Buzz but I do love my original stuff.

I would love any advice I could get, thanks so much.

Shannon.
modeerf

Post by modeerf »

I'd take a klon if I could get one, and the gold centaur is the more sought after one so depending on what you buy it for...even if you don't like it, it could still be a wise investment. I only see the value rising...

As far as the beebaa I would take a vintage over a clone anyday. the originals usually have more "magic" and they again will only increase in value. but then again if you really aren't interested in "collecting" and would rather have a more reliable pedal that you wouldn't have to baby the black cat might be better for you.

If it was me i'd go for both and not look back. (depending on the condition/price of course)
Do Drugs, Worship Satan.
jerms

Re: Klon Centaur Opinions

Post by jerms »

centaurs are awesome especially of you play a fender amp.... they have a way of making everything you like about your rig bigger and bringing it right up in your face..... just a great pedal for clean boost or overdrive.....

i'll pass on giving an opinion on the bee baa though.... i haven't had enough experience with them.....
Shannon Byrds

Post by Shannon Byrds »

Thank you Modeerf and Jerms, I play through a 40th Anniversary HiWatt at the moment, hoping the same effect applies to them as well. I'll let you know how I go tomorrow.

Kind Regards,

Shannon.
pulse.

Post by pulse. »

Klon is just great, makes everything sound bigger, it gives a nice touch of mids on my rig,
but the best for me is how everything stacks sooo good with it. I use it last on my dirt section of the board
and everything sounds excellent. I have the gain about 9 o'clock, treble 12 and volume almost 11 o'clock
and I play through a 67 Bassman head with 5881 and a Vox HwH Ac30 and it suits with both my amps.
maestrofrustro

Post by maestrofrustro »

I have both and love both and constantly swap the 2. and I use a hiwatt to.
When I first had my klon i thought 'Is that all', but I soon discovered how natural it sounds compared to a regular overdrive pedal. I see it more like an eq: when you turn up the gain above 9 oclock this midboost kicks in that makes single coils sound bigger. But I really love the treble control, it can give P90's or even HB's some kind of 'ringgg' tele's and firebirds have. But I must say, sometimes I miss just a bit of low end.
the beebaa (i'm talkin about boost side only) has a nice midboosted tone that's also very natural at low settings (it gets fuzzy when turned up), lackes no bass, and with some guitars I think its even better than the klon. it cleans/brights up when you love to use your volume control. But with other guitars I miss the effect of the klon's treble control. I have 2 beebaa clones, one sounds really close to the old one, but modeerf is right it's all about magic;-)
API

Post by API »

Own both and love them to death.
My Klon has been on my board since 1998 when i bought it new for $225 !!
King Cactus Crusher

Post by King Cactus Crusher »

I honestly did not care for the Klon that much, but you might as well try it if you can get your money back in resale. As you can see, many people with great ears love them.
Creepyfingers

Re: Klon Centaur Opinions

Post by Creepyfingers »

The Klon is magic sauce.
redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight »

I can say that the klon is just fantastic for clean boosting or light overdrive. Its pretty amp dependent, sounds great through some stuff and other amps it just doesnt do much. My guess is that if you're using a hiwatt you're going have to crank that thing pretty damn loud for the klon to really do its thing, if you can, the klon will be pretty great!
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")