D*A*M/Colorsound Fuzz Box

Collaborations with originators.

Moderator: The Captain

daCod

Post by daCod »

if you're ever in the shit, grab my tit
i like pedals when you know they're on
When I saw you with that lost look on your face saying you had just saw ET, I thought "uh oh, game over" - innerflight
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
modeerf

Post by modeerf »

#23 arrived today. Dave was right on about these being playable and inspirational. I had my doubts whether I would like this or not as I wasn't sure it would be my thang, and Dacod's demos made it seem like it was somewhat to shrill and brite for my taste. But it really isn't. If you max the knob it does have alot more 'presence' but back it off a little and it rounds it out nicely and turns slightly dark. The clean-up with the guitar gives it a very unique sound which to me seems almost signature to this or maybe other colorsound pedals. It has a crunchy character and not a really clean sound (with my SG anyway).

I do like this pedal alot and am suprised by the range of tones achieved with only one knob. Sounds great with other pedals too, some fuzzes struggle to play nice with other pedals but this one reacts well. The tone is smooth with bite and growl. I wasn't sure how I'd feel about this one and actually thought there were other fuzzes they could have done that would have been better than this one. I couldn't figure out why they chose this one, then I played it and it was clear. There is no question how this fits in to the D*A*M Colorsound family. It really has enough of everything to make everyone happy. Its old-school yet really heavy, its classic rock and doom in one pedal. Very tonebender-ish yet has some muffy qualities. Its almost like the only fuzz you would ever need...And it does that with one knob!

Its just smooth enough and just gritty enough. This one doesn't count on settings or switches at all, but rather takes one sound and kills it. I plan on spending alot more time with this pedal but for now...so far, so good. I expect these to do really well, as long as people give it a chance they won't turn back.

Nice work Linzi, and everyone else involved. I'd say you've outdone yourselves here. Thanx!
Do Drugs, Worship Satan.
Enjoyer

Post by Enjoyer »

Great review, modeerf!
Mine arrived today. I won't be able to test drive it until tomorrow. You've got me excited.
TheWarmth

Post by TheWarmth »

What method do you guys use for removing the bottom plate from these CS pedals?
Philip

Post by Philip »

A flat headed screwdriver inbetween bottom plate and top enclosure. :squint:
daCod

Re:

Post by daCod »

Philip wrote:A flat headed screwdriver inbetween bottom plate and top enclosure. :squint:
and very gingerly as to not bend the top enclosure out on the side or scrape the bottom enclosure :tu:
thin small flatheads (think eyeglass repair) work the best too.
When I saw you with that lost look on your face saying you had just saw ET, I thought "uh oh, game over" - innerflight
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
1bottlerocket

Re: Fuzz Box

Post by 1bottlerocket »

Got to the party late here...now I have to pay. :doh:
Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
-Garfunk M. Rafferty
modeerf

Post by modeerf »

I've been playing mine alot lately and have found that I definitely prefer it through some amps more than others. The blackface realm I like the most but I think any darker amps would be great with it. I'd think marshall would be incredible, too bad I don't own any, but it seems like a perfect match. My brighter amps like the Gibson Falcon and the Vox sound alright but the Deluxe Reverb is where its at, high headroom and keeps a pretty untainted foundation when its pushed in the front end.
FWIW...
Do Drugs, Worship Satan.
get_with_it
Sola Sound London

Post by get_with_it »

Well I have to say - as usual I deal with the first bunch of pedals , emails , sendng them out etc. and just have the memory of the first one where I'm really just assessing the viability of a new product .

A few weeks later - NOW in other words , I get to sit down and have some fun .

I have got to say this has got to be one of my favourite Colorsound products ever - I just plug it in and I'm there , back at Dick's bungalow - amazed at this tiny circuit and it's total genius . The pedal has one knob !!! And I just dont find myself thinking ' oh i wish there was a tone control ' - that dosen't happen - I just play . . and love it !

Now here's a first - pretty soon, after I've dealt with the next batch, I'm going to be in a stock situation ! Something I have dreamed of since we collaborated with DAM - I can actually put a ticket in Macaris window that says Colorsound D.A.M. collaboration etc etc etc

too cool !!!!!

Best window in Denmark St . . . . . . by a country mile !
daCod

Post by daCod »

:party: that's awesome Ant!
i will second the 'plug in and i'm there' comment.
side by side to the original unit, the DAM is dead nuts on. OG might have a slight touch of mojo-vibe tone to it but too damn close to really tell.
we're having another go with the trio tonight so more verbage to come.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")