Amp to amp?

Ask a question...get some answers

Moderator: The Captain

fuzzer

Re: Amp to amp?

Post by fuzzer »

Gentlemen;

Never use one of those 3 to 2 adaptors
better get a dedicated (Isolated) ABY box, or cut the shield on one end on one of the guitar cables, but don't do the Ground lift thing, it's very dangerous.

Also, adding to what was said before, taking one amp's output and putting it into another amp can not only fry amp II but waste the output transformer of Amp 1.
Creepyfingers

Post by Creepyfingers »

the watcher wrote:Thanks Jim.

Yes Mr. Foo, I don't think I'm looking to run them in parallel. I'm looking to drive the 500w solid state head with the Orange.

I guess I'm going down the slave / master head route.

I'll slave out the Orange into the solid state, my only concern here is that I might just be amplifying the pre-amp section of the Orange. What I'd really like is to get the power amp section as well sent out.

I've checked on the Orange forum and there seems to be a bit of debate on the old Orange heads as to whether it is just the pre-amp or the power amp section as well that is slaved out when doing this.

I've got a band practice on Sunday, so I'll post back with my findings.
Yo

The slave out will just be the pre amp out. The only amps I would imagine that have slave "ins" would be slave amps which are just power amps. They don't have preamps. The power amp output is the speaker out.
I think someone mentioned it but you still need to have a load on the amp. If you run your Orange just as a preamp without having it connected to a speaker you will eventually damage the amp. The suggestion about the hotplate is the sensible way to accomplish what you're trying to accomplish. You should get one before you end up having to spend the money fixing a blown head, or heads.

--Brad
the watcher

Post by the watcher »

Thanks for that Brad.

Have been reading up a bit on hotplates this morning and it sounds perfect.
Expensive piece of kit, but cheaper than possibly footing the repair bill for two amps.
fuzzer

Post by fuzzer »

And what about the cabinet?
Damn-Deal-Done

Post by Damn-Deal-Done »

Either use the slave out or the send of a send/return to drive the other head. If the second head has a return then go into this. Basically using the pre amp of the orange and the Power amp of the Solid State amp.

[edit]

oh yeah, what Brad said, never use without a load.