Moderator: The Captain

get_with_it
Sola Sound London

R.I.P. Larry Macari

Post by get_with_it »

Hi fuzz people

Im very sad to report that my Uncle Larry has passed away

He had been battling with Parkinsons for many years

For me he was Uncle Larry , my Dads brother but for you guys Im sure he will be remembered as the guy who brought the Tone Bender pedal to the World and ran Sola Sound with my Dad Joe .

The last time I saw him I took him a MKII that Dave had made.

Being a businessman to the end the gave it an approving look then asked the price. When I told him he looked at me as if I was an idiot !

After that I told him about this bunch of people around the World who go to this place online to talk about fuzz and he was genuinely touched to know there are crazy fanatics who still care about a product he first sold 50 years ago.

Even though Larry has not had an active role in the business for many years I feel a huge dynamic change - the real end of an era . Walking into Macaris yesterday felt very difficult . For future reference , It's still possible to feel you're growing up - even when you've just hit 50 !

So here's a few cool things about Larry - I'm leaving out dates because I'll only get them wrong and I know how pedantic some of you guys are !!!

Born to Lena and Tony Macari ( Band Leader )

He quickly rose through the ranks of his fathers band to become the main attraction - Larry child prodigy accordionist !

after the demise of variety he formed the Larry Macari quintet ( which included my Dad Joe and their sister Rosa ) - toured Europe , had a show on BBC radio and recorded various gramaphone records including 'Dizzy Fingers' - the accordionists equivalent of EVH's 'Eruption'

in 1956 - became manger of Tom Jennings Vox shop in Charing Cross road - brought the very first Fenders into the UK for the Shadows plus looked after anyone who was anyone in a group in the sixties.

Opened the first music shop in Denmark St with my Dad Joe

Formed Sola Sound , again with my Dad and made Fuzz pedals - later made the range of Colorsound effects which was possibly the coolest thing in the World !

In short Larry was an incredible musician , a wonderful innovator and I am damn lucky to have had him as an Uncle.

Im sure I'll think of other stuff to write here over the next few days - Larry's funeral is on the 10th - Ill let you know how it goes

god bless

Ant
innerflight

Re: R.I.P. Larry Macari

Post by innerflight »

Im really sorry to hear that Ant, my sincere condolences go out to you and your family
’brutish in character but not thug like’
jerms

Post by jerms »

so sorry for the loss ant.... :scared: he accomplished so much in his lifetime!!! pretty incredible!... we all owe him a huge debt of gratitude too..... RIP larry....
mam8dg

Post by mam8dg »

Sounds like Larry was a pretty amazing person Ant. My condolences for your loss. RIP Larry.
migsmoon.bandcamp.com
daCod

Post by daCod »

Larry sounds like quite a gent. A man I'd of loved to have a pint with for sure. Sincere condolences to the Macari family. I bet it made him smile when you handed him a MKII Bender, knowing what he started so many years ago will live on for generations to come. All the best Ant.
if you're ever in the shit, grab my tit
i like pedals when you know they're on
When I saw you with that lost look on your face saying you had just saw ET, I thought "uh oh, game over" - innerflight
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
DiscoFreq

Post by DiscoFreq »

Very sorry to hear that Ant, my condolences!
EffectsDatabase: http://www.effectsdatabase.com
26000 pedals, 4000 brands
1bottlerocket

Post by 1bottlerocket »

My sincere condolences, Ant. Your uncle has achieved much in his life and created a passionate following. May he rest in peace.
Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
-Garfunk M. Rafferty
edkoppel

Post by edkoppel »

my thoughts go out to you and yours Ant.

RIP., and a big 'thank you' for all he contributed to us. :cheers:
Oh, DB? That's just slang for Dandy Big muff collector.
-----------------------
Tone Machines, Vintage Effects Blog: www.tonemachinesblog.com

Instagram: https://instagram.com/ed_skymall
DucRyder

Post by DucRyder »

Sorry to hear of your loss Ant. Condolences to you and your family.
"...Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…" H.S.T.
anemochore
Location: Outside of Suquamish at the bottem end of Hawkeye's trail next door to Nooshkum

Post by anemochore »

Sorry to hear that Anthony. My Condolences.
A full and noteworthy life indeed!
Don't make me assume my ultimate form