Starlight Red Delight!

Tonal shaping & volume boosting delivered with germanium love.

Moderator: The Captain

thesjkexperience

Re: Starlight Red Delight!

Post by thesjkexperience »

I now have one of those pedals from the same run! I also have a new Starlight from a few months ago and while the components are labeled the same they look very different and sound VERY different. The one from 2008 is much fatter sounding where my 2009 at 3 o'clock is about the same as the 2008 at noon yet the 2008 is still fatter! I am not complaining, but is this normal for Roosters to vary so much? I can actually leave the 2008 on all the time and use my Strats volume control to get everything I need :fu:
Steal a little and they throw you in jail. Steal a lot and they make you a King. -- Bob Dylan

"ripped out of the sky reforming thought into creation electric motion begins" - Linzi
zerorez

Post by zerorez »

thesjkexperience wrote:I now have one of those pedals from the same run! I also have a new Starlight from a few months ago and while the components are labeled the same they look very different and sound VERY different. The one from 2008 is much fatter sounding where my 2009 at 3 o'clock is about the same as the 2008 at noon yet the 2008 is still fatter! I am not complaining, but is this normal for Roosters to vary so much? I can actually leave the 2008 on all the time and use my Strats volume control to get everything I need :fu:
Not sure what to tell you on this one, I have only the one Starlight Red Rooster and it has the OC140 trannie?

Hands down the best Rangemaster clone that I have tried to date, if I cant score another RR someday, the Analogman Beano with the CV7003 milspec OC44 trannie would be nice or Creepy Fingers Sugar Boost, maybe Sickle can chime in. I am not sure what Brad uses for trannies on the Sugar Boost, maybe it is silicon?

The Captain does use the CV7112 in the Rooster Builds sometimes. which is a milspec OC140

If you bought the newer Rooster 2nd hand, maybe someone tweaked the bias?
thesjkexperience

Post by thesjkexperience »

I talked to the seller and he is at least the second owner. He didnt touch it, but I cant say about the first. Either way it just kills! The new one has a short fat OC140 tran and the new one a long skinny OC140. A few other components look different as well, but I dont know enough about it to know what would change the tone. I will try and get some guts pics up so everyone can see.

I do have a really nice Swart Atomic BOost with Mullard OC44 for sale and it blows away the Beano and Java I had previously. Super quiet and full of tone. Sucks to sell it, but I cant really swing the second rooster if I dont sell it.

Edit
Looking at the FAQ my '09 has 1960s transistors and the 08 has 1970s transistors. Would the OC140 transistor sound that different from different decades? Now I wonder what the black glass one sounds like!
Steal a little and they throw you in jail. Steal a lot and they make you a King. -- Bob Dylan

"ripped out of the sky reforming thought into creation electric motion begins" - Linzi