Jimi hendrix partial pedal

General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

Nick
The Artist Formerly Known As nightraven

Re: Jimi hendrix partial pedal

Post by Nick »

devnulljp wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:21 am Gutshots of mine w/ 2n5133s
That version was probably built around 1969. When Mike Matthews and the various historians all talk about how EHX started building Guild pedals after Mosrite went bust, it's probably your version that they're referring to. The easiest way to tell them apart is that the EHX version of the Foxey Lady has the same brushed aluminium casing, whereas the Aul pedals (branded or otherwise) are finished in a kind of diarrhea-grey crinkle paint.

The Jimi Hendrix pedal was built by a company called 'Aul Instruments', supposedly under the instruction of Matthews, when Guild for some reason sought him out to supply them with fuzz pedals. I'm not really sure why they thought Matthews was the person to do this, but maybe the actual EHX historians have theories. What we can be pretty certain about, however, is that because Jimi had one in August 1968, they almost certainly predate the Mosrite version of the Foxey Lady. This is because Mosrite only went bust by the end of the year (or by early 1969, depending on the source), and date codes show that Sprague were still supplying Mosrite with the encapsulated Fuzzrite circuits (that were used in Foxey Lady pedals) in October, and I don't believe there are any known Mosrite-built Foxey Ladies with anything other than the Sprague module.
simonm

Re: Jimi hendrix partial pedal

Post by simonm »

Nick wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:35 pm Image
Every time i see one of these Aul Instruments fuzz boxes I groan as I remember missing one on ebay that sold for about $200 about 8 years ago :doh:

That one had "Aul Instruments" screenprinted on it (under the jack sockets?), but otherwise looked like yours, though i remember the colour being darker...
Handmade, high-impact, great-looking radical queer germanium fuzz. A different approach to 1960s-inspired fuzz pedals, no clones, check them out at https://goodfuzzysounds.com or on YouTube https://tinyurl.com/GFS-YT