A couple of issues with a build

Schematics, layouts & other technical mumbo jumbo.

Moderator: The Captain

Sauniere

A couple of issues with a build

Post by Sauniere »

Built this up the other day. Having a couple of issues. 1st, when I hit the switch to engage the fuzz, the effect comes on slowly and gradually like I'm turning the volume from "0" to "10". 2nd, the level pot is working like a guitar volume pot in that it "cleans up" when I roll the level down. :hmm:
Sauniere

Re: A couple of issues with a build

Post by Sauniere »

I've trimmed the transistor leads, tried different transistors and swapped the footswitch for a blue 3pdt and have the same issues. :hmm:
elOL

Post by elOL »

Seems as if there's missing a 1M resistor and a diode.
SonicVI

Post by SonicVI »

elOL wrote:Seems as if there's missing a 1M resistor and a diode.
those are optional components in the BYOC MK2.

Do you have the pots switched maybe? Where is the black lead of the battery connected?
"If you want to write rock lyrics you must learn about where the Hobbits dwell."
elOL

Post by elOL »

SonicVI wrote:
elOL wrote:Seems as if there's missing a 1M resistor and a diode.
those are optional components in the BYOC MK2.

Do you have the pots switched maybe? Where is the black lead of the battery connected?

+1 on that then. check your wiring and also check for bad solder joints.
Sauniere

Post by Sauniere »

Black battery wire and the pcb ground wire are both connected to the footswitch "ground lug". I'll check the pots. Thanks!
capricorn_1

Post by capricorn_1 »

Sauniere wrote:Black battery wire and the pcb ground wire are both connected to the footswitch "ground lug". I'll check the pots. Thanks!
i may be wrong but the black battery wire might not be meant to be connected to ground if this is a positive ground circuit. should it not connect to the board itself?
SonicVI

Post by SonicVI »

Sauniere wrote:Black battery wire and the pcb ground wire are both connected to the footswitch "ground lug". I'll check the pots. Thanks!

That's what it looked like and there's your problem. Remember in this circuit the ground is positive )the red wire) and the DC power is negative (black). So what you've done is connect circuit's power to the footswitch which is grounding the power supply when it's turned off (also eating your battery the whole time if the input jack has a plug in it). When you turn it back on by hitting the footswitch you're restoring the power and it takes a few seconds or however long. You should connect the black battery lead directly to the pcb where it says 'neg'. And that's the only thing that should be connected to that pad. The ground pads on the pcb are where your pink wires are connected. I think they say 'jack' on them. You don't need both of those wires connected to the jacks as the jacks have a common ground with the enclosure. Remove one and use the second pad for the footswitch ground.
"If you want to write rock lyrics you must learn about where the Hobbits dwell."
SonicVI

Post by SonicVI »

I housed mine similarly to yours btw.
Sauniere

Post by Sauniere »

SonicVI wrote:
That's what it looked like and there's your problem. Remember in this circuit the ground is positive )the red wire) and the DC power is negative (black). So what you've done is connect circuit's power to the footswitch which is grounding the power supply when it's turned off (also eating your battery the whole time if the input jack has a plug in it). When you turn it back on by hitting the footswitch you're restoring the power and it takes a few seconds or however long. You should connect the black battery lead directly to the pcb where it says 'neg'. And that's the only thing that should be connected to that pad. The ground pads on the pcb are where your pink wires are connected. I think they say 'jack' on them. You don't need both of those wires connected to the jacks as the jacks have a common ground with the enclosure. Remove one and use the second pad for the footswitch ground.
Fucking brilliant! That was the problem and it fixed the weird issue with the volume pot as well! Thanks for the assistance!! :hail: