SonicVI Effects Silicon MK1

Up and coming builder? Sell your creations here...

Moderator: The Captain

vanguard

Re: SonicVI Effects Silicon MK1

Post by vanguard »

SonicVI wrote:For those of you who missed out I do intend to do another batch soon.
Yep. Couldn't get the funds together in time for the last batch. Next batch I'm in.
https://blackstrapelectrik.com/

Has anyone seen an Englishman called Gavin?
erer

Post by erer »

Ok, well, just got back from band practice, I think I like it better than my germanium ones. :whistle:

To me, the SI sounds a tad bolder with a slightly crisper attack. But other than that it just sounds like a awesome high gain mki. Hardly any artifacts on the decay. No squish with my loud humbuckers. :headbanger:
Turkish

Re:

Post by Turkish »

erer wrote:No squish with my loud humbuckers
Good to hear this. I had a Mk1-ish pedal that sounded perfect until I really dug in and then it gave me the squish. I tried to work around it but I couldn't deal with it.
"The Meathead is supposed to break things" -The Captain
Dullboy

Re: Re:

Post by Dullboy »

Turkish wrote:
erer wrote:No squish with my loud humbuckers
Good to hear this. I had a Mk1-ish pedal that sounded perfect until I really dug in and then it gave me the squish. I tried to work around it but I couldn't deal with it.
What do you mean with "squish"? Extra weird noises at high gain level? Disturbing?
"Sometimes the nicest thing to do with a guitar is just look at it."
Thom Yorke

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Lee

Post by Lee »

I think he meant the Compression some MKI's have a compressed sound to them.
sciencefriction

Post by sciencefriction »

I'm not a smart guitar guy or anything, there is a lot I don't know. I think compressor is the right way to describe what happens, when you're playing some fuzzes with humbuckers & you max the volume on your guitar. It's like a squishy, bloomy, compression. I experience this more often with Germanium fuzzes on my LP, but not my Strat. I experience this less with Silicon. I'm generalizing, it's so black & white of course. I'll have to get in on the second run of Silicon MKIs, I had something to deal with. Now I have bugger all. :doh:
vanguard

Post by vanguard »

sciencefriction wrote:I'm not a smart guitar guy or anything, there is a lot I don't know. I think compressor is the right way to describe what happens, when you're playing some fuzzes with humbuckers & you max the volume on your guitar. It's like a squishy, bloomy, compression. I experience this more often with Germanium fuzzes on my LP, but not my Strat. I experience this less with Silicon. I'm generalizing, it's so black & white of course. I'll have to get in on the second run of Silicon MKIs, I had something to deal with. Now I have bugger all. :doh:
Yeah, it's just the phenomenon that occurs when you reach (and exceed) max headroom on any audio circuit. The input of the circuit has a fixed amount of "power" it can receive; when the incoming signal pushes the input past its threshold, it chops the signal's loudest peaks off resulting in what we hear as compression, distortion, and/or ducking. This is what makes the sounds we all love in our distortion pedals and overdriven tube amps, but the truly squared off ducking that occurs in many fuzz pedals when they are hit with powerful humbuckers can give that smeary, blooming sound that may kill a circuit's personality and make it sound like, essentially, a poorly-tuned big muff.
https://blackstrapelectrik.com/

Has anyone seen an Englishman called Gavin?
erer

Post by erer »

SonicVI

Post by SonicVI »

:tu:

I just ordered another batch of transistors, so provided I get what I need a second batch is definitely forthcoming.
"If you want to write rock lyrics you must learn about where the Hobbits dwell."
anemochore
Location: Outside of Suquamish at the bottem end of Hawkeye's trail next door to Nooshkum

Post by anemochore »

vanguard wrote:Yeah, it's just the phenomenon that occurs when you reach (and exceed) max headroom on any audio circuit. The input of the circuit has a fixed amount of "power" it can receive; when the incoming signal pushes the input past its threshold, it chops the signal's loudest peaks off resulting in what we hear as compression, distortion, and/or ducking. This is what makes the sounds we all love in our distortion pedals and overdriven tube amps, but the truly squared off ducking that occurs in many fuzz pedals when they are hit with powerful humbuckers can give that smeary, blooming sound that may kill a circuit's personality and make it sound like, essentially, a poorly-tuned big muff.
This :tu:
Almost ruined my first MkI experience until I figured out that you roll your volume back until it stops. No need for that kind of output
Don't make me assume my ultimate form