Sola Sound Tone Bender MKI

Collaborations with originators.

Moderator: The Captain

kluskie

Re: Sola Sound Tone Bender MKI

Post by kluskie »

Missed those stunning newly released Mk1s but managed to get hold of one of the 10 x 'Sweet Jane' Mk1 hybrids - sounds stellar!
Attachments
IMG_0443.JPG
IMG_0443.JPG (609.1 KiB) Viewed 1949 times
Chi-LA

Post by Chi-LA »

The system v2 arrived and after playing it for a few days I can say it’s an amazingly good sounding pedal. I compared it with my “gen1” Pigdog mkI and they are both really good but it seems like the gen 2 system is really going for a vintage recreation. I’d be interested to hear how it compares with the v1 system by David Main if anyone has heard both…
Markusgit81

Post by Markusgit81 »

I scored a Phoenix and it is superb. Would love to get a System as well. Thing is I actually don’t have the money for it. Is anyone here who knows how different or maybe similar they are in sound? When they go into a similar direction I maybe wouldn’t get one. If they are I somehow would try to get some money for it.
walkingtiger

Post by walkingtiger »

Markusgit81 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:51 pm I scored a Phoenix and it is superb. Would love to get a System as well. Thing is I actually don’t have the money for it. Is anyone here who knows how different or maybe similar they are in sound? When they go into a similar direction I maybe wouldn’t get one. If they are I somehow would try to get some money for it.
They seem different enough from the videos Ant posted. You can still check them out if you have IG. From what I’ve gathered and had experience playing, the system is a unique beast amongst the MKI examples. I believe the second transistor starts to over bias once you get the fuzz dial past noon. The fuzz starts gating and tightens up at this point. My Futura was tuned this way and is pretty amazingly versatile compared to other MKI’s I’ve played if you’re into that kinda thing. The Phoenix also seems to be a unique beast, and I would assume stays pretty open sounding all the way up. Hopefully someone with more experience can tune in though and correct me if I’m wrong. Hoping they drop the second batch after the holidays so us mere mortals can continue saving up!!!
Markusgit81

Post by Markusgit81 »

walkingtiger wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:53 pm
Markusgit81 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:51 pm I scored a Phoenix and it is superb. Would love to get a System as well. Thing is I actually don’t have the money for it. Is anyone here who knows how different or maybe similar they are in sound? When they go into a similar direction I maybe wouldn’t get one. If they are I somehow would try to get some money for it.
They seem different enough from the videos Ant posted. You can still check them out if you have IG. From what I’ve gathered and had experience playing, the system is a unique beast amongst the MKI examples. I believe the second transistor starts to over bias once you get the fuzz dial past noon. The fuzz starts gating and tightens up at this point. My Futura was tuned this way and is pretty amazingly versatile compared to other MKI’s I’ve played if you’re into that kinda thing. The Phoenix also seems to be a unique beast, and I would assume stays pretty open sounding all the way up. Hopefully someone with more experience can tune in though and correct me if I’m wrong. Hoping they drop the second batch after the holidays so us mere mortals can continue saving up!!!
So the Futura is close to the System? That would be great news as I have one of those.
Tin Shack King

Post by Tin Shack King »

:headbanger: :dance:

Finally got the notification e-mail from Parcel2Go.com that my Ghost is on its way!
ombudsman

Post by ombudsman »

Some Futuras are tuned like the System MkI but not all of them. Mine is a medium gain setup with long sustain and little to no artifacts (which is how I like them the best although artifacts can be fun too).
hamoftruth

Post by hamoftruth »

walkingtiger wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:53 pm
Only the high gain Futuras behave this way, and those are mostly only a special order item.
All You Need Is Fuzz

Good Dealings /w - SovtekFuzz, Doctor X, daCod, dangergirlstarship, TeleSoul, sideasoundlab, DBBlues
kluskie

Post by kluskie »

I have a Futura tuned this way from Ian’s private collection. It totally rips!
walkingtiger

Post by walkingtiger »

From the captain himself concerning the System MKI linked below. As he stated, every known MKI is unique and the monikers being used refer to specific examples. The System is unique from others because of the extreme biasing after your fuzz parameter is pushed past Noon. If you’re into the Velcro like gating, a System tuned MKI should be your jam. My Futura sounds amazing all over the fuzz dial however, and is no one trick pony!

:freakout: