Love of fuzz vs Money

General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

Bigfoot2000

Re: Love of fuzz vs Money

Post by Bigfoot2000 »

Thing is though, Kim Cottrall is really sexy in Star Trek VI and I’ve had a glass of Chenin Blanc

Never trust a Klingon
Instagram: @bigfoot.2000
Jim Goad

Post by Jim Goad »

It’s a tough one. I’ve pretty much settled on the few pedals I use lots and won’t sell. I’ve got a few that I’d let go if I need cash for a must-buy guitar or if my car dies. I’ve got a couple I took a punt on recently as investments that may or may not be worth something in 10 years. I massively regret selling a couple of DAM boxes that I’d struggle to afford again but I needed to pay rent. Just the way it goes sometimes.
It's like an orange on a toothpick
pothole

Post by pothole »

I feel super fortunate to have picked up a 2nd (after selling my first one I bought from the Captain) Buzzotron for a price that wasn't much more than the original retail price. In this market I think I scored. I guess thegearpage is good for something every now and then!
1bottlerocket

Post by 1bottlerocket »

Doc Holliday wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:29 pm PS as for Stu, I don’t think he’s caught on how cheap his products are yet haha!
The guys a master and legend in this game.
He prob hasn’t raised his prices since day one so if you’re after quality and from a guy that accompanied Dave & Steve in the rise to getting these old classics out there after all these years his builds are second to none.
Personally I’d rather sell any £500 pedal I own and buy two of stus :D
Stu is a genius. I have had a few projects going with him now and he ALWAYS delivers the goods. He knows his way around many aspects of gear. Amps, pedals, guitars, woodwork, he can do it all.

re regrets selling: Yes, I do have some serious regrets selling some fuzz to pay for this fucking anchor of a guitar I got shit on when buying. Live and learn I guess.
Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
-Garfunk M. Rafferty
Francus1971

Post by Francus1971 »

Too pricey, fuzzes went too pricey, but imho is not just a second hand issue
probably it depends from production , when you sell a tone bender reissue for 899 £ and someone buy it, everything is possibile , more? A boss tone bender in limited edition for 350€, let’s imagine when it’ll hit the second hand market, so almost every other branded and marketed fuzz will reach higher prices, new or second hand . Foooooook
Saw a super bee for sale on mercatino musicale here in italy, asking 400€ for it! 400!!! I bought the original vox from the sixties some months ago for 250€ ... wtf ??? But the story is that no more bees will build, so it’s RARE! Why no more buildings??? Boooohhh(, it’s a mistery to me, bought and resold an Halloween bee, for less half that price 3/4 years ago...) and now
Saw muff reissue (septsounds and others ) solded at crazy prices, but muff are 4 silicon trannies and some caps, and COULDN’T play better than the originals, because the originals are originals , and an original muff sounds like it should, but anyone want ‘em, and the builders prefer to release in small batches, why ? No time to build it? Not much trannies? Marketing and prices? To you the answer
I bought an original rams here from jeremy and it kick asses, I find really stupid pay for a reissue more than the original one , but that's the way

Marketing , limited edition, histories about limited trannies and caps so anyone can’t build so much and prices went crazy
no problem, prices will remain high as long as someone could buy at high prices, quite easy
And fuzziness is no more music and musician’s related, it’s collector field

Mah, happy to have some little fuzzes and play with ‘em but do not care about fuzz no more so much as some years ago , too expensive
Enjoy it
Spook

Post by Spook »

Francus1971 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:28 am Too pricey, fuzzes went too pricey, but imho is not just a second hand issue
probably it depends from production , when you sell a tone bender reissue for 899 £ and someone buy it, everything is possibile , more? A boss tone bender in limited edition for 350€, let’s imagine when it’ll hit the second hand market, so almost every other branded and marketed fuzz will reach higher prices, new or second hand . Foooooook
Saw a super bee for sale on mercatino musicale here in italy, asking 400€ for it! 400!!! I bought the original vox from the sixties some months ago for 250€ ... wtf ??? But the story is that no more bees will build, so it’s RARE! Why no more buildings??? Boooohhh(, it’s a mistery to me, bought and resold an Halloween bee, for less half that price 3/4 years ago...) and now
Saw muff reissue (septsounds and others ) solded at crazy prices, but muff are 4 silicon trannies and some caps, and COULDN’T play better than the originals, because the originals are originals , and an original muff sounds like it should, but anyone want ‘em, and the builders prefer to release in small batches, why ? No time to build it? Not much trannies? Marketing and prices? To you the answer
I bought an original rams here from jeremy and it kick asses, I find really stupid pay for a reissue more than the original one , but that's the way

Marketing , limited edition, histories about limited trannies and caps so anyone can’t build so much and prices went crazy
no problem, prices will remain high as long as someone could buy at high prices, quite easy

Mah, happy to have some little fuzzes and play with ‘em but do not care about fuzz no more so much as some years ago , too expensive
Enjoy it
A 400€ Bee !?, no "moral" issues there ;)

As for the reissues vs originals, i think the selling point is that some og's sound like shit 'cause of value drift in components, transistors and so on. With a reissue from one of
the top dogs u know u are getting a supreme sounding ex, but i agree with you ...it is getting crazy.
:pazuzu:
innerflight

Post by innerflight »

Buying an ‘original’ certainly doesn’t guarantee it sounds good
’brutish in character but not thug like’
Dullboy

Post by Dullboy »

Spook wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:30 am
Francus1971 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:28 am Too pricey, fuzzes went too pricey, but imho is not just a second hand issue

Enjoy it
A 400€ Bee !?, no "moral" issues there ;)

As for the reissues vs originals, i think the selling point is that some og's sound like shit 'cause of value drift in components, transistors and so on. With a reissue from one of
the top dogs u know u are getting a supreme sounding ex, but i agree with you ...it is getting crazy.
Since you are talking about my SB here I am.
I know the price is high, I know I'm not going to sell it at that price. It is a silly way to get attention to my other ads, which IMHO have reasonable pricing.
When I will be really motivated in selling the SB, here or there, I'll put a reasonable price.

Idea: why don't we create a sort of list of fair pricing for our community?
It could be useful to know the price a new pedal was sold and a range of selling price.
5 columns: brand, model, year of production, selling price from the builder or shop, avarage selling price or min/max selling price.

For example:
I know what I paid for my new DAM Tone Distorter in 2020: 587€ including shipping.
I don't know if one has already been put on the market (here, Reverb, Ebay, etc), but at least we have a reference to valuate.

Another example:
I asked Joe (Joe's pedal) how much he was selling the Pigdog Professional MK2 like this in 2012/13 (https://reverb.com/item/39492912-pigdog ... wder-white), and he answered 259£. Now again, we can make our considerations.

What do you think?
Thanks
"Sometimes the nicest thing to do with a guitar is just look at it."
Thom Yorke

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Francus1971

Post by Francus1971 »

innerflight wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:42 am Buying an ‘original’ certainly doesn’t guarantee it sounds good
quite correct usually, but when one of you babies, tells that a pedal kicks asses, i'm sure it does :marx:

and Jeremy is one of the best guys in here
innerflight

Post by innerflight »

For sure

I meant generally not that specific pedal
’brutish in character but not thug like’