Weird Fuzzrite

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

danieldanger

Re: Weird Fuzzrite

Post by danieldanger »

Nick wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:08 pm I think the fuzziness of the print might be a result of it having been applied to the bumpy wrinkle paint surface, instead of the bare brushed steel.

The Mirano pedals look kinda similar:

the fuzziness and gritty edges comes from a low count screen mesh used for the screenprinting, not the texture of the enclosure. usually this indicates an amateur job because if you buy a "home screenprinting kit" (typically oriented around t-shirts), its usually a 150 or lower mesh count (since its more fool proof), whereas anyone doing any on-metal enamel printing even remotely professionally is using significantly higher counts, 280-400 or whatever (and they have been since the 50s-60s). think of screen mesh like computer resolution, less = pixally, more = smooth. this looks like a home job to me.
Nick
The Artist Formerly Known As nightraven

Re: Weird Fuzzrite

Post by Nick »

danieldanger wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:33 pm
the fuzziness and gritty edges comes from a low count screen mesh used for the screenprinting, not the texture of the enclosure. usually this indicates an amateur job because if you buy a "home screenprinting kit" (typically oriented around t-shirts), its usually a 150 or lower mesh count (since its more fool proof), whereas anyone doing any on-metal enamel printing even remotely professionally is using significantly higher counts, 280-400 or whatever (and they have been since the 50s-60s). think of screen mesh like computer resolution, less = pixally, more = smooth. this looks like a home job to me.
Thanks for chiming in with your expertise in this area!