MKIII prototype pcb version

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

Chi-LA

MKIII prototype pcb version

Post by Chi-LA »

eBay find…
Attachments
ECF85CBF-0EF2-451B-894F-34B0A28C149C.jpeg
ECF85CBF-0EF2-451B-894F-34B0A28C149C.jpeg (562.24 KiB) Viewed 918 times
1C6BC425-AF0B-475A-8C5E-883AE7248320.jpeg
1C6BC425-AF0B-475A-8C5E-883AE7248320.jpeg (572.01 KiB) Viewed 918 times
innerflight

Re: MKIII prototype pcb version

Post by innerflight »

Yeah very unusual that one, two knobbed MkIII, was tempted myself

How she sound?
’brutish in character but not thug like’
Chi-LA

Post by Chi-LA »

Actually sounds great, very throaty and a little unhinged. I think the circuit is pretty close to the two knob “with treble and bass boost” MKIIIs. The silicon transistors are the same…
daCod

Post by daCod »

i feel like that's popped up before, hasn't it ?
nice grab. cool to know someone here has it now :party:
if you're ever in the shit, grab my tit
i like pedals when you know they're on
When I saw you with that lost look on your face saying you had just saw ET, I thought "uh oh, game over" - innerflight
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Nick
The Artist Formerly Known As nightraven

Post by Nick »

I dithered and dithered over this when it was listed on eBay. I've never played the 'treble n' bass' MKIII before, and theoretically, this set of guts could have fitted the empty 1968 Vox MKII enclosure catching dust here (with some minor adjustments...) It even wouldn't have been too anachronistic either. Glad the pedal ended up with someone here, and I don't have to spend the rest of my life in regret! :tu:
Chi-LA

Post by Chi-LA »

I’m keeping my eyes peeled for an appropriate enclosure if there even is such a thing. Sound wise it became an instant favorite. I’d been looking for a mKIII I could afford for a few years and ended up buying two the same day. Go figure…
simonm

Post by simonm »

Unusual to see Preh (German) pots in a Sola build, no? They look like late 1950s ones, without date codes, which is also weird.
Handmade, high-impact, great-looking radical queer germanium fuzz. A different approach to 1960s-inspired fuzz pedals, no clones, check them out at https://goodfuzzysounds.com or on YouTube https://tinyurl.com/GFS-YT
Nick
The Artist Formerly Known As nightraven

Post by Nick »

simonm wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:51 pm Unusual to see Preh (German) pots in a Sola build, no? They look like late 1950s ones, without date codes, which is also weird.
Is that the manufacturer of these pots? I hadn't seen them anywhere else beyond Sola Sound pedals. A Vox-nerd friend spotted them in some 60s Vox gear, and also tried in vain to investigate where they were made. My messed up Vox MKII (with wonky DIY guts) had a pair of them as well (and curiously, they're both 100k's too).

Sola Sound apparently started using those pots right at the tail end of the MKII production (e.g. Stu's Rotosound MKII has them), and they were also used on the 'Treble n' bass' MKIII's & early Sola Sound Wow(-Fuzz) pedals. The similar looking pots that Sola Sound quickly moved onto using for the subsequent MKIII's/MKIV's & wahs were made by Erie.
simonm

Post by simonm »

Yeah, the round back ones were used on Hofner guitars in the '50s:

you can see the Preh moulding here

looking closely it's a bit different to the Fuzzbug ones, but might still made by Preh i reckon

[lots of edits = image changes]
Last edited by simonm on Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:32 am, edited 4 times in total.
Handmade, high-impact, great-looking radical queer germanium fuzz. A different approach to 1960s-inspired fuzz pedals, no clones, check them out at https://goodfuzzysounds.com or on YouTube https://tinyurl.com/GFS-YT
jerms

Post by jerms »

that board looks nothing like what's in my Vox MKIII with Treble and Bass... :hmm: :hmm: