Matamp Speaker Advice

General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

TeleSoul

Matamp Speaker Advice

Post by TeleSoul »

Matamp owners please help!

Long story sorry but bear with me please.

So after over a decade of looking I finally scored a lower wattage Matamp in the form of a V28 MkII Head.

For a (thankfully) very brief period I worked at a vintage guitar store called Jackson’s Rare Guitars and while there sold a friend a prototype “Peter Green” Matamp head and cab which was essentially a Series 2000 with the reverb built in as opposed to the outboard unit and with an angled 2x12 cab. That amp was there for about 6 years or so because no one wanted to try it out. Lo and behold it is probably my favourite sounding amp and one which will never be for sale sadly.

Fast forward to last month and the store I’m in now has a head come in that is the V28. Amazingly, it came from Jackson’s and is one serial number over from the PG Prototype. Pretty cool.

The only problem is I don’t have a cab and no idea what speakers will be right for it. Given the output is switchable from 14/28 watts so similar to a Series 2000, what can you recommend? My only caveat is for it to not be immensely loud since living/gigging situations don’t really allow for it.

I’ve added a catalogue photo for the two from JRG which is also the most I’ve even been able to find out about it.

Thanks!
Attachments
CC883D1D-ADBC-4A69-ABA7-DD94104EC760.jpeg
CC883D1D-ADBC-4A69-ABA7-DD94104EC760.jpeg (1.14 MiB) Viewed 514 times
innerflight

Re: Matamp Speaker Advice

Post by innerflight »

Try the Matamp Facebook page (if you’re on FB) lots of good advice there, Hayden who makes them is a regular there and often chips in
’brutish in character but not thug like’
dreichula

Post by dreichula »

are you looking to get speaker breakup or avoid it?
TeleSoul

Post by TeleSoul »

Thanks,

I’ve joined and posted but haven’t heard back just yet. Hopefully some light can be shed on any specs for the model.

Given that I can’t run it super loud speaker break up wouldn’t be an issue.
TeleSoul

Post by TeleSoul »

Well unfortunately the amp just started playing up badly. Will have to hear back from the store’s tech before I go ahead now.