Old Fender deluxe reverb tube question

Schematics, layouts & other technical mumbo jumbo.

Moderator: The Captain

pothole

Old Fender deluxe reverb tube question

Post by pothole »

So my 6v6 power tube sockets are loose to the point whenever I transport the amp, they fall out. I'm going to get some tube retainers/clamps to keep them in place but my question is the fact they are falling out during transport an indication the actual tube sockets should be pinched or tightened as well, or are the retainers good enough? The amp functions fine and sounds great. If anyone has some insight, let me know. Thanks,
Dr Tony Balls

Re: Old Fender deluxe reverb tube question

Post by Dr Tony Balls »

pothole wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:21 pm is the fact they are falling out during transport an indication the actual tube sockets should be pinched or tightened as well
Yes. You should tighten the sockets so they make better contact with the pins. You can use a small screwdriver or dental pick to do this, but please check first that all of the sockets are free from any voltage. Retainers should also be used.
pothole

Post by pothole »

Dr Tony Balls wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:43 pm
pothole wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:21 pm is the fact they are falling out during transport an indication the actual tube sockets should be pinched or tightened as well
Yes. You should tighten the sockets so they make better contact with the pins. You can use a small screwdriver or dental pick to do this, but please check first that all of the sockets are free from any voltage. Retainers should also be used.
Thanks for confirming Doc, appreciate it!
Rygar

Post by Rygar »

Are they JJ tubes?

I've had some JJ tubes with pins that were smaller diameter than normal. Not good for old loose sockets.

I need a work light and a big magnifier when checking tube sockets these days. I want to get one of those usb microscopes.
pothole

Post by pothole »

Rygar wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:05 pm Are they JJ tubes?

I've had some JJ tubes with pins that were smaller diameter than normal. Not good for old loose sockets.
They are JJ's. That's interesting, I didn't even consider the pin size. Good catch on that!