66' mosrite fuzzrite (data dump)

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

PlumCrazy

Re: 66' mosrite fuzzrite (data dump)

Post by PlumCrazy »

Now the beat to shit 66 germanium. Sounds good but not as good as the 68 (probably needs the 43 year old electrolytic replaced). This one has the board facing out and teh .1uf caps. Everything appears to be original and has a switch unlike any I've seen online. Also has a small block of wood as a spacer to keep the solder joints from shorting on the case.
Attachments
DSC_2294.jpg
DSC_2294.jpg (66.34 KiB) Viewed 4066 times
DSC_2282.jpg
DSC_2282.jpg (52.8 KiB) Viewed 4067 times
http://www.plumcrazyfx.com
Everytime i comb my hair, thoughts of u get in my eyes.
jerms

Post by jerms »

it's not a mosrite on the outside, but but it is on the inside!!! pot dates 24th week of 69'....it's cleaner than any i've seen before, and this thing sounds amazing too!!! :marx:
Attachments
DSC00010.jpg
DSC00010.jpg (338.99 KiB) Viewed 4014 times
DSC00013.jpg
DSC00013.jpg (325.8 KiB) Viewed 4014 times
DSC00014.jpg
DSC00014.jpg (310.3 KiB) Viewed 4014 times
DSC00015.jpg
DSC00015.jpg (327.49 KiB) Viewed 4014 times
DSC00018.jpg
DSC00018.jpg (301.24 KiB) Viewed 4014 times
DSC00019.jpg
DSC00019.jpg (302.38 KiB) Viewed 4014 times
DiscoFreq

Post by DiscoFreq »

That's a very nice condition for a Rosac, they are usually rather rusty :D
EffectsDatabase: http://www.effectsdatabase.com
26000 pedals, 4000 brands
devnulljp

Post by devnulljp »

DiscoFreq wrote:That's a very nice condition for a Rosac, they are usually rather rusty :D
Dr. Understatement strikes again :hihi:
This one (not mine) looks like it belonged to the Toxic Avenger.
Attachments
Rosac Nu-Fuzz guts
Rosac Nu-Fuzz guts
1734_1.jpg (26.59 KiB) Viewed 4080 times
Rosac Nu-Fuzz
Rosac Nu-Fuzz
b873_1.jpg (12.24 KiB) Viewed 4080 times
Dear Bongo, No.
Good deals with all these guys
DiscoFreq

Post by DiscoFreq »

devnulljp wrote:
DiscoFreq wrote:That's a very nice condition for a Rosac, they are usually rather rusty :D
Dr. Understatement strikes again :hihi:
This one (not mine) looks like it belonged to the Toxic Avenger.
That could be one of mine, it seems to be the same one as the gold v1 here:
http://www.effectsdatabase.com/model/rosac/nufuzz

And IIRC that's one of my own pedals ;)

Edit: no, not the same, of "NU-FUZZ" only U-F is still visible on mine, but they both have a clean spot around the "Rosac".
EffectsDatabase: http://www.effectsdatabase.com
26000 pedals, 4000 brands
jerms

Post by jerms »

yeah i really couldn't believe how nice a shape this one was in!!! never seen another this clean!!! i got lucky finding this one! :tu:
redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight »

that rosac looks great! Are the controls different than the regular mosrite? How different is the tone between the germainum and silicon versions of the moserite? The circuits sure look different!!
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
jerms

Post by jerms »

redeyeflight wrote:that rosac looks great! Are the controls different than the regular mosrite? How different is the tone between the germainum and silicon versions of the moserite? The circuits sure look different!!
the controls are exactly the same as the Fuzzrite.... volume and fuzz.... this one sounds really great!! nice and fat with great sustain! you can even palm mute and get a chunky metal sound with it!! the circuits are somewhat different but they both have the same type of controls. they all sound a bit different... the germaniums seem a bit more compressed and fuzzy great for single note stuff, while the silicons are less compressed and a bit more focused in the low end.
psycho*daisies

Post by psycho*daisies »

jerms wrote:
redeyeflight wrote:that rosac looks great! Are the controls different than the regular mosrite? How different is the tone between the germainum and silicon versions of the moserite? The circuits sure look different!!
the controls are exactly the same as the Fuzzrite.... volume and fuzz.... this one sounds really great!! nice and fat with great sustain! you can even palm mute and get a chunky metal sound with it!! the circuits are somewhat different but they both have the same type of controls. they all sound a bit different... the germaniums seem a bit more compressed and fuzzy great for single note stuff, while the silicons are less compressed and a bit more focused in the low end.
well put, Jim.

...that Rosac looks soo cool! :crackjam:

my new set up for the 60's garage groop:
Kevin's Shin Ei FY-2 clone ->Ge Fuzzrite ->DAM Rooster->'62 Reverb tank & Bandmaster...I'm really diggin it!

The FY-2 doesn't have a lot of fuzz-volume (fuzzroom?), so the Rooster kicks it up a notch (adding bite) & then when i want the full monty, step on the Fuzzrite and it gets all midrangey/cocked-wah'ish-like the gnarly side of an FY-6...and the Fuzzrite's Depth knob becomes dynamic/interactive.

A simple set-up, but super versatile & perfect for that type of music...
If you struggle baby,
It only tightens up...
devnulljp

Post by devnulljp »

theemadcap1 wrote:As promised here are my pics of my 66 Fuzzrite. Has the same caps as Jerms. Has the board facing out, instead of in, as most I have seen. Has a pair of Vox knobs, missing the Moserite knobs. I think it may be an earlier one(?) Picked it up for a 'song'...
A little bit of surface rust, but otherwise, pretty good shape for 43 years old!
I need to get a small Hex wrench and get those Vox knobs off to look at the date codes on the pots.
Really sweet sounding fuzz! Has a beautiful harmonic response with the octave up above the 12th fret.
Sweet Fuzz tone!
I think I have this one now -- cost me a bit more than a song though :gripe:
The board is the same way round as PlumCrazy's one here with the same switch. It has the wooden spacer (bit also a little perspex plate too -- is that new? I think I see it in PlumCrazy's too).
2N408 and 2N2613 trannies.
Sounds awesome.

The only cosmetic difference I can see from the outside between this and the Si and Sprague module Fuzzrites is the lack of the (R) symbol after Fuzzrite.

EDIT: Pulled the pots to read the codes. 1346647, so Nov 1966 same as my other one that has the board the other way round. So, I guess they got a batch of pots and used them over a period...wonder how long exactly and how many of each type were made...and why the changes?

Last edited by devnulljp on Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dear Bongo, No.
Good deals with all these guys