Ampeg Superb Reverb R15R

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

imlikeajungle

Ampeg Superb Reverb R15R

Post by imlikeajungle »

Anyone here any experience? I'm interested in grabbing a '64 as an alternative to an SF Fender, since the Fenders with reverb are becoming stupidly expensive over here (Princeton Reverbs for 800-1000 euro!?!). The seller is asking 700. It's a 25W amp with a 15" speaker, two 7591 tubes, reverb & tremolo.

So: good amp? Great amp? Good price?

This is it's 12" brother:

vls

Re: Ampeg Superb Reverb R15R

Post by vls »

25W on a 15'' speaker sounds perfect to me. 1964 ampeg... made in new jersey... sounds even better, if the amp is ok inside, sure 700 is not bad, but that is always a relative thing, my vt-22 costed 400USD also made in new jersey. A good place to ask is http://www.ampegv4.com/
eastcoast

Post by eastcoast »

I was looking into these a while ago and did a lot of research into these. I never got a chance to buy one or play one but from what Ive read the trem and the reverb are sick. There's some youtube clips and they sound really good. If you check ebay you can probably get a better price but theres the risks. They look really cool too. Let us know what you end up doing.
imlikeajungle

Post by imlikeajungle »

Sold my OR120 yesterday, checking out the Ampeg this weekend!
Thanks for the info, I'm sure 700 is not 'cheap' but in Europe they're hard to find + indeed the risk. This one was serviced a couple of months ago too + I sort of kind of 'know' the seller (i.e. I can find him if shit turns up).
Thanks for the help, I will be posting results later on!

How's that VT-22?
SBlue

Post by SBlue »

imlikeajungle wrote:Sold my OR120 yesterday, checking out the Ampeg this weekend!
Thanks for the info, I'm sure 700 is not 'cheap' but in Europe they're hard to find + indeed the risk. This one was serviced a couple of months ago too + I sort of kind of 'know' the seller (i.e. I can find him if shit turns up).
Thanks for the help, I will be posting results later on!

How's that VT-22?
The thing with the Superb Reverb is that it's a very rare beast. It's very similar(you could almost say the same) as the Reverberocket, but it has a 15' speaker, instead of 12'. Like you've said before, the tremolo is great, and if the amp is running right, the reverb is as sick as it can be(I like it better than the Fender).
The version you're talking about, 7591 tubes, has a unbelievable good clean sound, thick and warm, and one of my favorite clean sounds ever. It takes pedal unbelievably well.
When cracked, it has a very particular overdrive sound. It doesn't sound like anything else(but other Ampegs). It's like a VT22 or VT40 with less gain.
If it still has the original non recone speaker, you might want try a good new 15', since these old ones get damaged very easy.
Neat amp.
SBlue
imlikeajungle

Post by imlikeajungle »

Picked it up yesterday!

I tried it next to a friend's SF Pro Reverb. It's clearly a completely different amp! The PR is much clearer sounding, the SR has a nice dark voicing that I like. The tone-knob is a little bit tricky, there's not as much control as you'ld get with a bass & treble knob, but it sounds awesome on every setting. The trem sounds very very lush but I wish it would be a little more extreme. It overdrives nicely, I think, I like it! It's not very loud, which is great. The reverb is good but a little less-dimensional than the PR's? Maybe it was a setting-thing, I like the reverb a lot better when the amp is not cranked. It has the original speaker, or at least it looks like it, but it has been, like many, rewired to fit 6L6s. What sound difference would I get when I get someone to rewire it to 7591s?

It handles the Meathead I got yesterday very very very well, I'm very pleased.

The amp got to legal drinking age by the time I was born too :badlove:
imlikeajungle

Post by imlikeajungle »

Picture time!
Any tips on how to clean that damn Ampeg tolex?

imlikeajungle

Post by imlikeajungle »

Thanks D!
I'm afraid we don't have the Simple Green... You reckon I could use any type of general-purpose cleaner?