Quality of Gibson

General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

TheWarmth

Re: Quality of Gibson

Post by TheWarmth »

I don't think it's a good idea to make blanket statements about a manufacturer's build quality, especially in regards to the larger companies like Fender and Gibson. It would be nice if you could unequivocally say, for example, that "all Gibson Les Pauls built in the 90s are great," but I don't think statements like that ever hold up. If possible, play the guitar you are looking at in person and if it feels good, looks good and sounds good, go for it. On the other hand, I have purchased guitars off of ebay before, and so far have lucked out and always been pleased. You are taking a chance when you do that, though.

In case it helps, here's a post I made on TGP recently regarding Gibsons:

I'm probably not nearly as picky as a lot of guys here are (just a hunch). I own four Gibson guitars:

'81 335 ~ amazing ... absolutely love it
'74 SG Custom ~ still getting used to it, but great sounds so far
2000 LP Deluxe ~ very happy after upgrading the pickups to Fralin P90's and adding a Bigsby
70's (not sure of the year) non-reverse Firebird ~ this one is a bit of a monster, as it's had a coil tap installed and the pickups aren't original. Nevertheless, I think it sounds and feels good. Sooner or later I'd like to have some work done to upgrade it, but that's beside the point.

When I had the Bigsby installed on my LP Deluxe, the tech who did it had some interesting things to say. He used to work for Gibson in the custom shop and eventually became so frustrated with the patchy quality control that he left. At the end of every month (not sure if this means the custom shop or the regular factory ... or both) they were forced to ramp up production to meet quotas and that's when unsatisfactory guitars left the factory.
imlikeajungle

Post by imlikeajungle »

In general, early '90s Classics are very highly regarded. Don't know if the Customs are of the same calibre.
Definitely look up whether they were being built in the CS yet (I think they weren't)...
Obviously, as with most huge builders (except maybe for PRS?), it is a shot in the dark buying unplayed.
Cado

Post by Cado »

I have a Custom Shop LP Standard from 1990 & I love everything about it. A buddy has a non CS Stanard from the same year & I think it's also a great guitar. I also have a 1992 SG, ditto.
Philip

Post by Philip »

I personally wouldn't do the trade you mentioned in the chat room, perhaps for a Historic LPC, but not for an early 90's custom.
Philip

Post by Philip »

If it were black and had 3 pickups I'd say go for it...
DucRyder

Post by DucRyder »

Aviv, why don't you take your relic and go visit the nearest GC and/or mom and pop music store and see what's available that you can actually try out? If you find something you like, parlay a deal with the relic. That way there's no question of tone/playability/looks/damage etc... plus it's fun!
"...Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…" H.S.T.
Philip

Post by Philip »

stopmaykinsense wrote::oldlol: Goes without saying of course....
:badteeth:

You're custom shop strat is a thing of tasteful beauty, those sunburst les paul customs look tacky imo. A sunburst LPC has always seemed wonky to me, be as well just getting a standard.
DucRyder

Re: Re:

Post by DucRyder »

stopmaykinsense wrote:
So I was at GC yesterday, spent about an hour with an LP Custom Historic, and was really into the neck (most important part for me). In my experience GC always fucks you on a trade, although I've only tried once and it wasn't with a CS guitar. Have you had different luck?

There are some mom and pops that I could check out though.
with GC it depends on the book value of your instrument I think... Don't be afraid to play them hard and walk out if the deal doesn't work for you, but don't expect anywhere near retail for a trade in.
"...Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…" H.S.T.
slomatic

Post by slomatic »

I sought out a 92 Studio and it is WAY nicer than the 06 Studio I previously owned. Really, just about the nicest LP I have ever played, and the build quality is top. Dunno if that helps, but I know that with the Studios the "golden years" is seen as being 90 - 93.......
Volume over talent
pigeontoe

Post by pigeontoe »

I have a limited edition studio with P90's from 1993 and a regular studio from 2004 and they both seem to be top notch builds. Both guitars play great and seem solid as a rock. I find it very hard to purchase a guitar without holding in my hands first. It does limit your choices immensely, but that's just how I feel.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.