Red Rooster verses the competition

Tonal shaping & volume boosting delivered with germanium love.

Moderator: The Captain

thesjkexperience

Re: Red Rooster verses the competition

Post by thesjkexperience »

I am wondering if or when the Captain might do another run of something other than the silver hammer tone boxes? That red one looks great. I have so many silver boxes on my board already.
Steal a little and they throw you in jail. Steal a lot and they make you a King. -- Bob Dylan

"ripped out of the sky reforming thought into creation electric motion begins" - Linzi
SBlue

Post by SBlue »

I do have a some treble boost(TB83 Extra, Toneman Rangemaster, Time Machine, Red Rooster). When I've got the Red Rooster and plugged in for the first time I couldn't believe that I was hearing a very close sound to one of my favorite guitar tones... Rory Gallagher! I then pulled the AC30 and a Strat and started to play some of my fave RG riffs... and going back and forth with the Treble Boost pedals, the Red Rooster not only was the closest to RG sound, but it nailed it!
Don't get me wrong, the pedals are good too, and I still like them... but for that RG tone the RR is right there. And that's one of my favorite Treble Boost sound.
SBlue
thesjkexperience

*DROOLS* I love Rory Gallagher so much my first son is named Rory! I just picked up a DR Z carmen ghia with celestion blue that I was trying to get close to the AC-30 sound. Real AC-30's are too heavy for me. It is getting closer and closer to the day that I too will have a Red Rooster!
Steal a little and they throw you in jail. Steal a lot and they make you a King. -- Bob Dylan

"ripped out of the sky reforming thought into creation electric motion begins" - Linzi
i love sharin foo

Post by i love sharin foo »

I finally got ahold of a Red Rooster. I had high hopes for it, but damn, it exceeded them all! The range control is infinitely useful for me. It's so nice to be able to zero in on exactly the frequency spectrum you want to boost and to be able to make it work with any guitar or amp combo. I have a Zvex Super Hard On clone that I made, an EHX LBP clone, and used to have an Effector 13 booster. All of them are good in their own ways, but they're much too limited, especially when you are trying to cover a lot of ground with them. Not so with the Rooster. It's like the Victorinox knife of boosters. After hooking it up, I can't imagine going back to not using it. It's a keeper!
pigeontoe

Post by pigeontoe »

Sickle wrote:
thesjkexperience wrote:I am wondering if or when the Captain might do another run of something other than the silver hammer tone boxes? That red one looks great. I have so many silver boxes on my board already.
All year long David will be using new colors for the remaining list boxes. Far as I know, there will be NO standard grey hammerite jobs kicked out.

:bleh:
When the lists first came out I was under the impression that all the list pedals were to be grey hammerite. If I would have known about all the different colors I would have signed up for every list.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
jacobjj5

Post by jacobjj5 »

The new boxes coming out in colors is kind of like an extra added bonus for being on the wait lists! Sweet!

On to the subject - I've got a Beano Boost, a Java Boost, & the Red Rooster. The Beano doesn't work with all of my amps, but it sounds GREAT with the ones it does work with. It's harmonically pleasing & powerful with those amps. On the amps it does NOT work with, it's brittle sounding and it makes me NOT want to turn it on. The Java is very versatile, and you can switch the frequency your boosting AND work with the tone control to make it work for any setup. I don't get quite the "ripping roar" that I want out of the effect, however. It's a good booster, but sometimes it just feels like the sound is "almost, but not quite" there. It's tough to explain. The Red Rooster, though, is a powerful son of a bitch, though. For ANY setup I've got, I can dial in the perfect tone between the two dials. There are many nights when I play that the Rooster is the ONLY effect I've got on. That is the ONLY effect that I can say that for. It simply kicks ass in ways I never expected it to when I bought it. I get that boost to a ripping, crunchy growl that sounds like your speaker's sizzling, and then I use my volume on my strat to navigate my way through a song. It's a beautiful thing!

:tu:
thesjkexperience

While waiting for my RR I picked up a Swart Atomic Boost with a glass oc-44! Far and away superior to the Beano and far beyond what the Java sounded like. NOt only that it is very quiet for for a oc-44. Super juicy and a little squishy, but only has a mid and full boost which isnt too bad with a Stratocaster into Swart and Tweed style amps. I got mine used, but am going to have Swart build me one with an on/off pot so it can stay on the board without the hassle of unplugging.

Still dying to get my Rooster and hoping the Captain is feeling colorful for list #3 (the last list anyway). I find myself using my boosters more than fuzz these days.

jacobjj5

Post by jacobjj5 »

+1 on the Swart Atomic Boost - I played one at Make'n Music & thought it was pretty cool.
MMG

Post by MMG »

89ec_35.jpg
89ec_35.jpg (10.61 KiB) Viewed 4215 times
Here is one I got off the bay, original glass oc-44.
Sounds identical to an original I a/b'd it with when I first
got it. And VERY low noise. The maker only had tranny's for three, and I got the second one.
It sounds unbelievable when I stack it with my Fuzzaround!
squarewave

Post by squarewave »

They are cool as, never heard one but for the cool factor I'd love to have one sitting on top of me bluesbreaker.
Insta @drewcifer01 @lavafangs @andrew_sings_solo