D*A*M pedals and the amps they love to hate.

Ask a question...get some answers

Moderator: The Captain

thesjkexperience

Re: D*A*M pedals and the amps they love to hate.

Post by thesjkexperience »

True love is my Swart STR tweed and my Victoria 20112 with blue. Truly hates my Dr Z Carmen Ghia, but it hates all fuzzes.
Steal a little and they throw you in jail. Steal a lot and they make you a King. -- Bob Dylan

"ripped out of the sky reforming thought into creation electric motion begins" - Linzi
smogfalls

Post by smogfalls »

Just tried my D*A*M's with my Marshall JCM2555SL (Jubilee) today, I usually use the Deluxe Reverb for fuzz. Anyway... wow!... amazing! The best was the Rooster though, it sounded immense with the Jube. I'm gonna have to do some clips.
Guitar Lessons - Online via Skype or in Nottingham, England

http://alexfarran.webs.com

Shape Lieutenant - Progressive Rock/Metal/Jazz...

http://soundcloud.com/shape-lt/shape-lt ... -june-2011
muffin man

Post by muffin man »

smogfalls wrote:Just tried my D*A*M's with my Marshall JCM2555SL (Jubilee) today, I usually use the Deluxe Reverb for fuzz. Anyway... wow!... amazing! The best was the Rooster though, it sounded immense with the Jube. I'm gonna have to do some clips.
I'm looking forward to hearing your MK111 clip's :badlove:
drunkenguitarist

Post by drunkenguitarist »

Wow, I forgot that I had posted here when I first joined the forum. :oldlol:
Anyhow, I'll be upgrading my Peavey to something better pretty soon.

What I'd like to know is what all the heavy doom laden rockers here like to play through.
I've noticed that for the most part its all about Matamp, Earth Sound Research, and older Orange amps.
Those are all nice and everything, maybe a little on the pricey side, but what other options would you guys recommend?
happiass

Post by happiass »

drunkenguitarist wrote:I've noticed that for the most part its all about Matamp, Earth Sound Research, and older Orange amps.
Those are all nice and everything, maybe a little on the pricey side
I'm certainly not an expert on them, but I do know that Earth Sound Research Amps are generally pretty affordable when they come up for sale (though you may have to budget in for a cap job or other basic maintenance). They're certainly much cheaper than a Matamp or Orange. If you're interested in them, also check out Plush amps. I believe Plush was somehow related to Earth Sound (sister companies, one bought the other, or something).
drunkenguitarist

Post by drunkenguitarist »

Thanks for the suggestions. The only problem is that those amps are pretty hard to find.
I might have to look at an Orange Rockerverb 50 or something similar that's currently in production.
I really would like an amp that sounds great on its own and even better pushed with some pedals.
PlumCrazy

Post by PlumCrazy »

50W Late 60s-era Marshall. Loves most guitars, loves pedals. Actually, any amp based on the Tweed Fenders seems to love fuzzes, distortions, and boosters in my opinion. They sound great maxed out with just a guitar sound great backed off slightly when pushed with a pedal, sound great backed off for cleans. Unlike my Mesa Blue Angel 2x10 which sounds great with a Les Paul, hates pedals, hates my Strat, hates the dog...
http://www.plumcrazyfx.com
Everytime i comb my hair, thoughts of u get in my eyes.
pulse.

Post by pulse. »

Both my MHD and ST sound awesome through my Vox AC30H Heritage through Marshall 2061cx
d4niel

Post by d4niel »

drunkenguitarist wrote:What I'd like to know is what all the heavy doom laden rockers here like to play through.
I've noticed that for the most part its all about Matamp, Earth Sound Research, and older Orange amps.
Those are all nice and everything, maybe a little on the pricey side, but what other options would you guys recommend?
I've boughted, but have yet to receive, a White amp which is basically an old rebranded Matamp GT-120 from the 70's. Those usually go for a lower price than the Matamps, but might be hard to source outside Europe.
I think generally, the best thing to do would be to scout around your local pawn shops and local second hand web sites for old amplifiers from decades ago. Whenever you find some old oddity, search out info online and maybe ask here for more details/opinions. If possible, play it! Maybe Ampeg V2 (or VT-40?) could be amplifiers of interest that might be easier to source where you live? Fender Bassman 100? Sunn O)))? Sovtek MIG 100 or 50?
100proof

Post by 100proof »

At the risk of sounding like a noob, I was also wondering if truly the only amps that work best with d.a.m. are tube and tube only. I'm saving some scratch to get a tube amp but i have a vox valvetronix vt100 for right now. the skinpimp mkIII sounds effin great through it while the buzzaround does not. i have a meathead on the way. any thoughts or input?