Is there anything wrong with the way this looks?

Ask a question...get some answers

Moderator: The Captain

Creepyfingers

Re: Is there anything wrong with the way this looks?

Post by Creepyfingers »

Sickle wrote:
playon wrote:I wonder what that diode is doing in there? Maybe that's the mod that helps temperature-stabilize the ge trannys.
Yep. I have something similar but more complex in a DeMarco-made MK II.
Yo

Its a reverse polarity protection diode so you don't blow the transistors up with the wrong type of power supply.

--Brad
Creepyfingers

Post by Creepyfingers »

Odd thing is there is supposed to be a germanium diode in the MkIII circuit but I don't see it anywhere. Probably hiding under something...

--Brad
zerorez

Post by zerorez »

I just picked up this used Proanalog MKII over on TGP with a OC81D in it, figured I would post a couple of shots for kicks & grins!

No reference to Jesus in this one, it does sound good though. a bit different then the Captains MKII for sure that I used to have.

Trannies
OC44
OC42
OC81D

Stu

Post by Stu »

Creepyfingers wrote:Odd thing is there is supposed to be a germanium diode in the MkIII circuit but I don't see it anywhere. Probably hiding under something...

--Brad
The name is a bit misleading (well, extremely misleading). It's not a clone of the original Sola MkIII at all; he called it a MkIII because he sees it as a development of the MkII. If you look at the pics in this thread, you can see it's still basically a MkII, but Q1 is biased like the transistor in a Rangemaster and there are three ceramic caps added to roll off high frequencies.

Nice PCB layout - I like the way that cap straddles the lead on the 470K. :lol:
muffin man

Post by muffin man »

Stu wrote:
Creepyfingers wrote:Odd thing is there is supposed to be a germanium diode in the MkIII circuit but I don't see it anywhere. Probably hiding under something...

--Brad
The name is a bit misleading (well, extremely misleading). It's not a clone of the original Sola MkIII at all; he called it a MkIII because he sees it as a development of the MkII. If you look at the pics in this thread, you can see it's still basically a MkII, but Q1 is biased like the transistor in a Rangemaster and there are three ceramic caps added to roll off high frequencies.

Nice PCB layout - I like the way that cap straddles the lead on the 470K. :lol:
I know these are really highly rated pedal's but c'mon most DIY stuff look's more pro built :scared:
MartinSmith06

Post by MartinSmith06 »

jkranitz wrote:I just picked up this used Proanalog MKII over on TGP with a OC81D in it, figured I would post a couple of shots for kicks & grins!

No reference to Jesus in this one, it does sound good though. a bit different then the Captains MKII for sure that I used to have.

Trannies
OC44
OC42
OC81D

Hey Joe,
That one sure looks familiar to me :marx:
Anyway, I've got Jeremy's (the OP, jazzandmetal?) old MKIII, and I've got another one coming from Switzerland in the mail. I'll do a side-by-side gut shot as soon as it comes in. Hope you're digging the MKII.
"You've probably read my stuff under the byline of Jane Doe. It's better than Erwin." - Erwin Fletcher