Is there anything wrong with the way this looks?

Ask a question...get some answers

Moderator: The Captain

Jazzandmetal?

Is there anything wrong with the way this looks?

Post by Jazzandmetal? »

I got a Proanalog MKIII and it is amazing. There are 3 transistors in it. @ are silver, and one is a little brownish....maybe oxidized or tarnished. Is this type thing normal? Anything to worry about?

THanks in advance for any help. :cheers:
Last edited by Jazzandmetal? on Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
MaryKelly

Re: Question for you germanium transistor experts

Post by MaryKelly »

Jazzandmetal? wrote:I got a Proanalog MKIII and it is amazing. There are 3 transistors in it. @ are silver, and one is a little brownish....maybe oxidized or tarnished. Is this type thing normal? Anything to worry about?

THanks in advance for any help. :cheers:

Maybe post a pic? Is it a metal can or is there a sleeve over the transistor? A little oxidation isn't really an issue as long as the part still works.
Jazzandmetal?

Post by Jazzandmetal? »

Jazzandmetal?

Post by Jazzandmetal? »

Pic added. :chillin:
Jazzandmetal?

Re: Is there anything wrong with the way this looks?

Post by Jazzandmetal? »

Sickle wrote:OC42??

:zombiehuh:
Is that bad?

Pedal sounds incredible. I was more wondering about the way the middle transistor looks. :smashed:
playon

Post by playon »

Looks fine to me, vintage parts can't always look pristine. If it sounds good, why worry? If it's lasted this long I'm sure it will last another 40 years.
"That's a nice little global economy you've got there -- it'd be a real shame if something happened to it..."
Creepyfingers

Post by Creepyfingers »

Yo

Its just a little finger corrosion. Nothing to worry about.

--Brad
Blobcaster

Post by Blobcaster »

i had a PA MKII with trannies like that OC84,OC7?OC??.the D*A*M MKII with three Mullard OC75's BLEW IT AWAY when they went head to head!
Graham

Post by Graham »

I got a PA Mk3 to see what all the fuss was about -theyre pretty thin on the ground over here - a workmanlike enough pedal though thought it was a little cheaply finished - I wasn't impressed particularly though I stilll got it - ran it alongside a lot of mk3's and it was only vaguely in the same sonic area - I bought it second hand and it was an early one so maybe I was unfortunate and had a dog as I too have heard great stuff about Scotty's building - wouldnt have bothered with it otherwise!..

Just checked back on mine - still sounds a little insipid on its own though is great with something else to "juice" it a bit like a rooster - mine is #22 and has a single old metal can Mullard?) OC76 coded B29 alongside a pair of unmarked metal cans with what I imagine are their output values inked on the top by hand 75 and 124 -perhaps I was a little unkind re the cosmetics - the usual ink jet printed clear stickers - cheap n cheerful - you may disagree with the guys faith but you cant fault him for his willingness to stand up & shout it out - I heard him jawing on that movie - hes obviously a guy who likes a yarn (me too!) - I disagreed with what he had to say re the Buzzaround / Tonebender relationship on that online article (and very much doubt he's had the number of BBA's he claimed) but he does seem pretty strung out on the F(uzz) word same as the rest of us here!! - a Fuzzster and no doubting it!

PS I have no relationshgip with the guy and am not trying to defend any iffy builds just having a comment of my own - you got to give it to the guy that he'll wear his belief on his sleeve so openly whether it pisses you off or not!

G - wonder what his mk1 or 2 builds sounded like??
Last edited by Graham on Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jazzandmetal?

Post by Jazzandmetal? »

Well, as soon as work slows down I will put it head to head against my friends DAM MKII.

I really like the MKIII so far. Wouldn't describe is as thin. It is actually really thick and meaty sounding.