Sovtek Big Muffs...

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

The Captain

Sovtek Big Muffs...

Post by The Captain »

...fucking rule!!! :party:

A very good friend of mine sent me this war torn bastard for research purposes. Ain't she a looker :badteeth:
...and it yes she works like a charm. Anyone else digging their Sovteks? I tell ya these will be future collectibles. Personally I think they shit bricks on the modern US versions.

From Russia with love :cthulhu:
imlikeajungle

Re: Sovtek Big Muffs...

Post by imlikeajungle »

Oh man... I always hear people scream how good these are but never seem to find one for a decent price. A 'famous' Belgian guitarhero/pedaljunk LOVES his Green Muff.
I want on the waitlist!!!
Mr. Maestro

Post by Mr. Maestro »

Probably the second fuzz I ever bought...still use it regularly for super thick sounds. The pots are a little weird in that they all have different beginning and ending points for the sweep that don't line up...but I bought it new when they came out. Don't know if that is common or not I just thought it was strange.

Man! I thought mine was in rough shape.That one looks like a real trooper!! :twisted:
slomatic

Post by slomatic »

Enormous, unreliable, ugly.....yet still total classics!! I wish I'd kept mine instead of worrying about the size of it!!

Gotta say I prefer the Ram though :lol:
Volume over talent
Blobcaster

Post by Blobcaster »

i've a Blue & Sliver one that smokes.
JP30

Post by JP30 »

I been messing with BIG MUFF style fuzz for a while now, and I am getting burned out of it.

my green was totally different from all others...
I sold it ,,, thinking it was too "OPEN" or too thick . ..

Now I miss it... May be I will learn the lesson and stop selling the pedals that I'll miss in the future...

I never tried Sliver and Blue "Civil war Muff", but I hear they are great too.
May be its time for me to go hunting on the EBAY...
squarewave

Post by squarewave »

I had one of the real early reissues 15ish years ago? the shoddy made things that they were, I think they just chucked in any old battery cover in for the hell of it. I sold it to a mate of mine (never did give me the cash) and I think it still lives at his folks house. Perhaps I should go and get it!! I sold i cos I got an old one (still have) needs fixing, but only a minor job, I just have tooooo much on at the moment to get it happening.
Insta @drewcifer01 @lavafangs @andrew_sings_solo
skybone

Post by skybone »

Don't know much about the original green Sovtek's, but the black one's were the angriest little mother's around. :)

They made the US built reissues sound positively civilised!
1bottlerocket

Post by 1bottlerocket »

That's a war torn beauty, for sure! I have been into the 'muff a lot lately :) and I have to agree, the Ram is tops in my book. I have another clone on the way in a month or two and we'll see how it stacks up. So far, The Ram is the benchmark.
Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
-Garfunk M. Rafferty
slomatic

Post by slomatic »

I agree. I used to collect Muffs, but got a bit bummed on their variable, and usually crap, quality control. Once the Ram arrived I knew that was it, my Muff-habit was over!! It's definately the best I've owned, Green Army included!
Volume over talent