FZ-676 and B-13

D*A*M Audio/Video Clips

Moderator: The Captain

Philip

Post by Philip »

I view garageband as a basic 8 track with some additional shit thrown in. It's not really meant for or suited to anything too fancy when it comes to mixing etc etc. I mean, no eq? Hopefully they'll add that later...

Garageband used to really frustrate me, but there are ways of abusing it and getting stuff from it you can get elsewhere in such a cheap and compact package. It got much better once they allowed you to import recordings from other apps.

How about i create a drum part or some kind of backing and send it to yah? You can copy it in to your garageband app or I can save it as an actual song which you then import to your iPad ready for dubbing of guitars?

No harm in trying, no worries if it doesn't groove yah.

:cheers:
DucRyder

Re:

Post by DucRyder »

:party: Sounds like fun! Thank you for offering your creativity / knowledge. I actually was curious about the "jam session" stuff. Not sure about the learning curve, but I'm down for a cross pond creative. I'll PM you.
Philip wrote:I view garageband as a basic 8 track with some additional shit thrown in. It's not really meant for or suited to anything too fancy when it comes to mixing etc etc. I mean, no eq? Hopefully they'll add that later...

Garageband used to really frustrate me, but there are ways of abusing it and getting stuff from it you can get elsewhere in such a cheap and compact package. It got much better once they allowed you to import recordings from other apps.

How about i create a drum part or some kind of backing and send it to yah? You can copy it in to your garageband app or I can save it as an actual song which you then import to your iPad ready for dubbing of guitars?

No harm in trying, no worries if it doesn't groove yah.

"...Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…" H.S.T.
The Captain

Re: FZ-676 and B-13

Post by The Captain »

S'all fucked up in all the right places :tu: Sounds fucking bad ass, man!
waveclipper

Post by waveclipper »

Class one Duc, sounds well heavy! :tu:

I'm with ya on the drum machine loathing - I really hate the things. A groove that you hear in your head and instinctively play on a 'real' instrument has to be consciously programmed into the awful bastards. I have spent many hours messing about with pattern lengths, swing settings, time signatures etc - it's pretty miserable. Tried cheating by using drum loops and Reason but ended up changing the tune to suit the drums - it's just too much of a bugger to try putting in fills or tempo/time signature changes.
I guess I'll just have to stick to my old faithful SR16 since I have a vague idea of how to get what I want out of it. I usually try to give it some sort of humanising swing by doing a shaker and/or tambourine track, or sometimes by turning off the quantising mode and manually adding the hi-hats or occasional snare hit. :-P
I just don't think there's anything out there that will easily and convincingly do what a real drummer can do :x
Philip

Post by Philip »

There is, but it takes time to make em sound convincing. There's programs with really well multi-sampled snare, drum, cumbal hits etc. Vintage sounding kits etc etc. the great sounds is easy to get, but human feel ain't.

In most cases, it's usually just quicker and more satisfying to just actually play the drums, but then it's hard to get a good sound.

Pro's and cons, cons and pro's for both sides.
waveclipper

Post by waveclipper »

I think yer right Philip - pros 'n cons indeed. Mic'ing up a real kit 'properly' is a bloody nightmare to get right (not that I have anything more than 'enthusiastic amateur' experience in such things). Best sounding results I ever got was a single condenser carefully placed in a nice room 50s style, but that certainly had it's drawbacks! I looked into Toontrack and the Native Instruments a while back and really liked the sound of the 'abbey road' and vintage kits - really impressive sounding, but as you mention it's the time required to program it and the learning curve to get the best out of the software that scared me off from investing in it. There's not really any easy spontaneous way to get a decent result I suppose...
jerms

Post by jerms »

philip wrote: cumbal hits
:lol: :lol:
Nick
The Artist Formerly Known As nightraven

Post by Nick »

:hihi: the secret behind the Pinstripedclips audio production
DucRyder

Post by DucRyder »

waveclipper wrote:Class one Duc, sounds well heavy! :tu:

I'm with ya on the drum machine loathing - I really hate the things. A groove that you hear in your head and instinctively play on a 'real' instrument has to be consciously programmed into the awful bastards. I have spent many hours messing about with pattern lengths, swing settings, time signatures etc - it's pretty miserable. Tried cheating by using drum loops and Reason but ended up changing the tune to suit the drums - it's just too much of a bugger to try putting in fills or tempo/time signature changes.
I guess I'll just have to stick to my old faithful SR16 since I have a vague idea of how to get what I want out of it. I usually try to give it some sort of humanising swing by doing a shaker and/or tambourine track, or sometimes by turning off the quantising mode and manually adding the hi-hats or occasional snare hit. :-P
I just don't think there's anything out there that will easily and convincingly do what a real drummer can do :x
Yeah, this is what drives me bananas! The quantized function is the worst, followed by the "swing" settings. The thing takes a perfectly fine rhythm and makes it sound like some bleep, bloop, blorp machine pounding away...

Then there's the whole interaction with a drummer were they know that one riff you are about to play, that one time in the song and they play a fill that suits it exactly. Drum machines are the musical equivalent of banging a rubber blow-up doll....

I'm getting on with the various machines in GarageBand better, but it's still not the same.
"...Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…" H.S.T.
anotherone

Post by anotherone »

Awesome clip. ZZ-top on steroids smoking hash comes to mind.
Excuse my blatant ignorance,but,what is a B-13? Forum search and google turned up zilch. Somekinda meathead variant?
Tune low,play slow