A swirly fuzzy afternoon

Schematics, layouts & other technical mumbo jumbo.

Moderator: The Captain

cubba

Re: A swirly fuzzy afternoon

Post by cubba »

Super kool!
I have an original and that sounds very much like it,
in some ways even better.
What gets me is all the tweaking,
just crank that bitch and be done with it! -- duende
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

MaryKelly wrote:
Geoffrey wrote:Fantastic ! I want one and I have an original A/DA Flanger. I don't suppose you could point me toward an expression pedal that would work with my old one? Thanks, G...
Hmmm... have you tried a roland one? Im guessing it should work OK because the ADA control pedals didn't have anything exciting in them AFAIK.
Thanks, I will check it out. My amp tech told me years ago that the pedal was wired backwards than normal ones, or something weird like that. He didn't want to build me one. I don't think they sound as good without the pedal... Not sure why, but I have A/B'd my original with a buddy's original who has a pedal. His sounds richer and fuller somehow...
G.
What do you want from life
An Indian guru
to show you the inner light?
MaryKelly

Post by MaryKelly »

Geoffrey wrote:
MaryKelly wrote:
Geoffrey wrote:Fantastic ! I want one and I have an original A/DA Flanger. I don't suppose you could point me toward an expression pedal that would work with my old one? Thanks, G...
Hmmm... have you tried a roland one? Im guessing it should work OK because the ADA control pedals didn't have anything exciting in them AFAIK.
Thanks, I will check it out. My amp tech told me years ago that the pedal was wired backwards than normal ones, or something weird like that. He didn't want to build me one. I don't think they sound as good without the pedal... Not sure why, but I have A/B'd my original with a buddy's original who has a pedal. His sounds richer and fuller somehow...
G.
Well the pedal has nothing to do with the actual sound of the effect. It adjusts the manual control by foot so you can change from metallic to phasey mid sweep or you can perform manual wah-like flanging with the rate all the way down. The actual sound of the effect is no different with the pedal other than the added control.
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

MaryKelly wrote:
Geoffrey wrote:
MaryKelly wrote:
G.
Well the pedal has nothing to do with the actual sound of the effect. It adjusts the manual control by foot so you can change from metallic to phasey mid sweep or you can perform manual wah-like flanging with the rate all the way down. The actual sound of the effect is no different with the pedal other than the added control.
Thanks that is interesting. I guess that the parts themselves make for slight variations in the sound. (In this case his sounds a bit more full and lush..) I think his is a bit older than mine. Is that scenario possible? We definitely weren't imagining the difference. We just both figured it had something to do with the expression pedal. Obviously I don't know much about the mojo that is going on inside stuff...
G.
What do you want from life
An Indian guru
to show you the inner light?
MaryKelly

Post by MaryKelly »

Geoffrey wrote:
MaryKelly wrote:
Geoffrey wrote:
MaryKelly wrote:
G.
Thanks that is interesting. I guess that the parts themselves make for slight variations in the sound. (In this case his sounds a bit more full and lush..) I think his is a bit older than mine. Is that scenario possible? We definitely weren't imagining the difference. We just both figured it had something to do with the expression pedal. Obviously I don't know much about the mojo that is going on inside stuff...
G.
A number of things could be going on. One might be calibrated differently than the other which might change the sound. Parts tolerances can also make things sound different and they can also make similar settings sound different on two pedals. One might also be a 90s reissue while the other is a vintage pedal and the parts in one just might not be fresh and perfectly functional. Its hard to say without looking at both pedals though. Some pedals had hardwired power cables and others needed a wallwart adaptor so power might factor into the equation. ADA also used two different circuit designs for the delay line so that could be yet another difference. Shouldn't be a big deal but people claim they can hear a difference between carbon film and metal film so who knows.