New vs old Rooster TONE

Tonal shaping & volume boosting delivered with germanium love.

Moderator: The Captain

thesjkexperience

New vs old Rooster TONE

Post by thesjkexperience »

Can anybody who has played both the regular LED Rooster and the new one without please compare the sounds of the two? I am still waiting on my Rooster, but have sunk a few bucks saved for the new ROoster into some sweet OD pedals.

Thanks!
Steal a little and they throw you in jail. Steal a lot and they make you a King. -- Bob Dylan

"ripped out of the sky reforming thought into creation electric motion begins" - Linzi
CitizenAudio

Re: New vs old Rooster TONE

Post by CitizenAudio »

I characterize it as the newer ones with the OC45 have a bit more gain and grit. It feels a bit more dirty.
thesjkexperience

CitizenAudio wrote:I characterize it as the newer ones with the OC45 have a bit more gain and grit. It feels a bit more dirty.
Ok, I gotta have one! :freakout: I tried out 6 different ODs and I think I will keep two of them (maybe three) and send the rest back which should leave plenty in my paypal account for the day my names comes up for a Rooster! BTW the winners were both BJFe pedals which I hadnt really heard of two weeks ago! I love the HoneyBee for a "more" pedal and I picked up an Emerald Green Distortion Machine for cranked amp, AC30, sounds. They both love my Rooster and react very amp-like where the losers all sounded like pedals.

The losers were the Lovepedal Les Luis (crap and wont stack), OCD v4 (always sounds like a pedal), Mad Professor Sweet Honey OD (not a bad pedal, but too blackface for me), and one I may still keep, the Greer Ghetto Stomp which sounds great and stacks well with the Rooster for late night playing. I get to keep it for a few more weeks so I can decide if really want/need it. The others are going back fast.
Steal a little and they throw you in jail. Steal a lot and they make you a King. -- Bob Dylan

"ripped out of the sky reforming thought into creation electric motion begins" - Linzi
jerms

Post by jerms »

i recently ended up with one of each.... i won't be reunited with my older one for a week or so, but when it returns i'll try to make a good comparison for you.
thesjkexperience

Thanks Jerms! I know I will get weak in the knees when my name is picked, but it will be fun for everyone to hear the Captains work. I have two and have a hard time choosing between them already, but they are both voiced differently as, I think, someone messed with the bias before I got it and it serves a very different function for me than the one I got new. I am sure the led-less one will also find its niche.

thesjkexperience

YES! My name finally came up for a new RR! Starlight Red with an OC45! I am pretty excited as it has been a long time since I had a new D*A*M pedal, and the exchange rate is very good right now.

Do these clean up with the guitar's volume knob? I had a Swart with the OC44 that I really liked, but the Rooster was the one I kept because the continuously variable Range control is superior to the 2 or 3 way position switch. Is the gain of the OC45 about the same as an OC44?

Thanks.

The Captain

Re:

Post by The Captain »

thesjkexperience wrote:Do these clean up with the guitar's volume knob?

Is the gain of the OC45 about the same as an OC44?

Thanks.
Yah to both. :party:
thesjkexperience

Thanks Captain! Now the wait begins. It will be fun to compare it to my old metal can RR. Just wish I was playing louder lately. Fuckin' neighbors grrr.

thesjkexperience

I got the new one today!!! This baby kills my other for overall use and it is even quieter. Not as directional, but I like the way it sounds on my tweeds. And, you guys outdid yourselves with the finish! Even that is a nicer red sparkle, and you know how the reptilian brain in me loves sparkles!

At first I thought Linzi was hitting the gym as I could hardly get the screws off the back! :headpop:

Then I saw the writing on the inside and realized she was just tripping :crackjam:
"ripped out of the sky reforming thought into creation electric motion begins" :marx:

Thanks Linzi! Fantastic box! :nocomment: