The New MKI Tone Bender+ More at the NAMM show w/ Photos!

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

analogguru

Re: The New MKI Tone Bender+ More at the NAMM show w/ Photos!

Post by analogguru »

API wrote:
analogguru wrote:Folks, I am off this worthless discussion - I think I am totally misplaced here....

Better when I use my time to make some golden-coloured cases, put a tubescreamer-circuit inside and sell it to you for big money as a "Tonebender MkI Repro" - because I have learned now, that it doesn´t matter what´s inside the case.

If the people at MG don´t know the difference between a MkI (= Maestro Fuzz Tone clone) and a TB MkII - which are two totally different circuits - they are free to hire a qualified technician to sort this out. All necessary informations are freely available on the net, especially here.

If for you there is no difference between a Fuzztone and a MkII then there will be also no difference between one of them and a toobscreamer - good to know.

Gary Hurst was not that big "designer" as he is treated now, the transistor-stage he added to Dick Denneys circuit - I wrote about that matter in another thread - can be found in every textbook of this era. Gary Hurst was only popular for answering "technical" questions for noobies in a music magazine - therefore his name had some value for salesmen.

I am pretty sure he has never seen a MkI when he started working for Vox/Sola so he couldn´t have modded it in the meantime.

Watch out for my "Tonbender MkI Repros" with toobscreamer-innards.

analogguru
Honestly, was this realy neccesary?
Why the big drama??
Are we going to make this a shit throwing contest like on every other forum out there???

Why are you making the accusation that Gary did not design the Mk I pedal?
If you have the facts, show them, do not make assumptions and try to spread even more rumours, there is enough of that already.

And who said that there is no difference between the Mk I and Mk II?
Why are you trying to be smart here?
All I am saying is that MG is the reseller of this pedal, they do not make them, Gary does.
They get the info from Gary that this is a Mk I pedal so why should they not believe him?
Who knows what Gary remembers at this point, and who knows what circuit is in Garys original Mk I?
It could have been changed a 100 times by him experimenting and trying out circuits.
The fact is that we do not know, not me, not you, maybe not even Gary, but I am trying my best to find out.

It is unfortunate that Gary is selling these through MG since they sometimes have a problem with the truth, but I guess that it is convinient for him, and also he is old friends with Rick Harrison.

And regarding the wooden Tonebender Mk I Gary told that it was only made for a week or two.
His brother was making the wooden cases for him and got tired of making them as the demand increased.
Then they moved over to the metal cases that they had made up for them.
Not sure about the circuit in the wooden TB, but I am trying to find out that as well.

Dennis
A "true believer" is someone whose decisions have been made and who doesn´t want to get confused by facts.
Because I made the experience that it is wasted time to argue with "true believers" I made the decision not to engage in discussions with "true believers" anymore. Therefore you have to look out for another idiot than me, Mr. retired THAT collection guy.

Goodbye, and enjoy your free pedals from MG.
analogguru
analogguru

Post by analogguru »

For critical "not-every-bs-believers" here is a babelfish translation of the Gary Hurst Interview from 2003:
http://de.babelfish.yahoo.com/translate ... Cbersetzen

Here is the italian original:
http://209.85.129.132/search?q=cache:1l ... urst_1.htm
http://209.85.129.132/search?q=cache:a9 ... urst_2.htm

Maybe you have to mark the text to make it visible. Now critical "not-every-bs-believers" are entitled to make their own picture about the truth.

analogguru
jimi_dylan

Post by jimi_dylan »

I have no idea what this thread is doing. :idunno:
The Captain

Post by The Captain »

hmmmm same here :zombiehuh: :hmm:

How about a nice picture to get things back on track :badteeth:

API

Post by API »

analogguru wrote:For critical "not-every-bs-believers" here is a babelfish translation of the Gary Hurst Interview from 2003:

Here is the italian original:
http://209.85.129.132/search?q=cache:1l ... urst_1.htm
http://209.85.129.132/search?q=cache:a9 ... urst_2.htm

Maybe you have to mark the text to make it visible. Now critical "not-every-bs-believers" are entitled to make their own picture about the truth.

analogguru
And your point is exactly....?
jimi_dylan

Post by jimi_dylan »

:badlove: Distract the children. :badlove:
API

Post by API »

Sickle, I did not see your post until after I wrote this, please feel free to remove it if you want to.
I would be more than happy to be spared from being insulted again.
I have not sided with anyone and I want to believe that my tone in my posts have been respectful and I try to stay to facts when I can.

Qoute:
Ok, that last post from Analogguru was only made to try to upset me, but I am not that kind of guy and will not bite.
Please spare me your patronising insults.

And I am not a true believer, I do belive in facts and if you show them I would be more than happy to see them like anyone else.
The question here, and the one I think upset you, was that you made an assumption and would/could not back it up, and now to try to get out of it you do not want to talk anymore and say that you are "to good" for further talk.
But fine with me, when you have the facts, and will show them, that Gary did not design the Mk I would be happy to listen.
But until then Gary is the official designer of the Mk I simpky because there is no other alternative.

If you in any way are trying to say that I have my arms around MG you could not be more wrong.
I have a very close friend that has been serioulsy fucked over by them for more money than you would believe.
But I have known Justin for many years and he knows that I have alot of knowledge about pedals and when he asked me for help with these JMI pedals I thought that I would try to make the best out of it and make them as good as possible.

There are no free pedals coming my way that I know of, but maybe you know more about that than me?
But I can PM you my address if you want to send some over!

Dennis
Mr. Min T. Fresh

Post by Mr. Min T. Fresh »

C'mon...................

This is a place for everyone to get along and have a good time.

If you do not like it then do not come here :tu:
I have a big dick and I challenge you to swallow it or fight me strait up.
JP30

Post by JP30 »

is it too much to ask ??

A. for someone to tell me what the original MK1 sounds like ? COMPAIRED TO
1. D*A*M 1965 :party:
2. D*A*M mk2 :party:
3. Maestro Fuzztone :party:
4. GaryHurst reproduction MK1 :party:

B. the Captain to make me one of these.
Attachments
2053_4788353540.jpg
2053_4788353540.jpg (71.8 KiB) Viewed 2978 times
MKI25loilJP30's0003b.jpg
MKI25loilJP30's0003b.jpg (99.29 KiB) Viewed 2978 times
kb892

Post by kb892 »

Sickle wrote:I'd love to see a 1965 owner that also has a Creepy Fingers Fuzz Nugget do a side by side comparison of the two circuits.
I will... just waiting on an email.... and the postman