Cheapness praise!

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

imlikeajungle

Cheapness praise!

Post by imlikeajungle »

While spending $$$ on a good sound is all---right, I think spending $$$ on effects I barely use or use to sound fucked up is stupid. Therefor I have a thing for 50$ effects, simple & cheap DIYs & using effects for something they are completely not intended too to get a funky sound.

Some I've tried:

Tim Escobedo's Uglyface: DIY, absolutely AWESOME fuzzpedal with an oscillator in it. Not really simple but so cool I need to mention it
Danelectro BLT Slapback Echo: didn't like this one.
Danelectro Tuna Melt Tremolo: really owkay trem for about 30$, I don't use it very much but every once in a while, I have fun with it on my board. Can do a really chopping sound, very cool to use at the end of a noise chain
Danelectro French Toast Fuzz w/ Octave Up: does this trick really well... Word on the street this is a Foxx Tone Machine clone. Awesome for that money.
Danelectro Chili Dog Octaver: normal, one octave down, two octaves down. Tracking is not great but not worse than say an OC2. Because you can trick the tracking by slightly bending a note, you get some cool sounds. I use mine in a feedback loop...
Danelectro Black Coffee Distortion: this is shit when you use it like it's meant to be, but shines when used as a tool to create & shape a noise circuit. Bass & treble knobs allow for serious EQing. I use this in my feedback loop too.
Arion Stereo Phaser SPH1: very decent phaser, lots of control. Can be picked up cheaply, does the trick. Same story with the Bass Chorus (the Guitar Chorus is very expensive as some fancy guitarist uses it) & the Flanger. Great value for money pedals at about 15 euro/piece.
Behringer Bass EQ: 12,90 euro new... Not more noise than a 70 euro Boss GE-7. I bought this to get a telephone-sound. It is a lot better than I thought it would be.
Behringer Bass Synth: awesome & multifunctional pedal. Does a LOT of very decent sounding synth tones. If you like this kind of stuff, give it a spin. It's at 40$ new, compared to about 120$ for a Boss?

So, which cheap pedals do you use and/or like?
imlikeajungle

Re: Cheapness praise!

Post by imlikeajungle »

I checked Noiseguide for it: I see a lot of different opinions... One dude claims he AB'd his Muff with it & no-one can tell the difference, another one says it's a FuzzFace/FuzzTone clone, a third guy says it's lofi. You say it has a huge amount of gain, I quote a reviewer: "Not very high gain for a fuzz with its type of voicing".
So tell me, Lord Sickle, how would you describe it?

imlikeajungle

Post by imlikeajungle »

It's definitely more useful than a S&W. Boris is the man!
If I see one, I'll buy it! (the pedal I mean, not Boris nor the gun)
DiscoFreq

Post by DiscoFreq »

• Behringer Bass Synth, reverb, flanger (a lot of modulation modes), rotating speaker, slow motion, vibrato,..
  • Danelectro (most of them are great for their price)
  • Polish pedals: Kod, Koda, Exar (the new Exar series costs more),...
  • Devi Ever artifact series (= the small ones)
  • EH Nano pedals (Steel Leather is nice, have to try some other models...)
  • the WD versions of Dan Armstrong plugins
  • Walco plugins
EffectsDatabase: http://www.effectsdatabase.com
26000 pedals, 4000 brands
imlikeajungle

Post by imlikeajungle »

Indeed, I have an EHX Small Stone NANO & it smokes. I sold a vintage one for it.

That FX52 sounds like a very cool addition to a noise rig or just any collection. Cool tip, Sickle!
Last edited by imlikeajungle on Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
DiscoFreq

Post by DiscoFreq »

imlikeajungle wrote:I checked Noiseguide for it: I see a lot of different opinions... One dude claims he AB'd his Muff with it & no-one can tell the difference, another one says it's a FuzzFace/FuzzTone clone, a third guy says it's lofi. You say it has a huge amount of gain, I quote a reviewer: "Not very high gain for a fuzz with its type of voicing".
So tell me, Lord Sickle, how would you describe it?

What's a Classic Fuzz when you can have a Clasic Fuzz? :D

(should take a better picture, this one's not mine)
EffectsDatabase: http://www.effectsdatabase.com
26000 pedals, 4000 brands
tatter

Post by tatter »

The Danelectro Chicken Salad is a brilliant univibe-type pedal. I've got a few Arion pedals and they're brilliant, some are getting quite expensive nowadays though. The Arion Tubulator sounds better than a vintage tube-screamer to me and has a better switch and bypass.
http://www.myspace.com/sinisterfootwear
http://www.reverbnation.com/sinisterfootwear

Fender Vintage Player Stratocaster > D*A*M AA > Arion SAD-1 > Line 6 M9 > Ibanez 850 Mini Fuzz > CAE Boost / Line Driver
Action Bastard

Post by Action Bastard »

My digitech digital delay ran me twenty bucks and I love it. Great tape emulation and delay times. Does reverse too!
slomatic

Post by slomatic »

There's a few I like:
Belcat Analog Delay - REAL analog delay, sounds very warm. Switch is a bit cheap but other than that it's great. Sounded as good as my DM2 - really!!

Dano Tunamelt trem - great trem, well worth the cash.

Dare I say it - Boss DS1! Yeah, it's tinny etc...but for the cash it's a great house pedal.
Volume over talent
The Captain

Post by The Captain »

slomatic wrote:Dare I say it - Boss DS1! Yeah, it's tinny etc...but for the cash it's a great house pedal.
+1 on that!! I really like the DS-1. I think its a very cool pedal. Great dynamics and it saturates like a mutha fucker. For the price every home should have one.