Red Rooster Power Draw?

Tonal shaping & volume boosting delivered with germanium love.

Moderator: The Captain

TheWarmth

Red Rooster Power Draw?

Post by TheWarmth »

So, I love my Rooster of Reality. I tried it for the first time at reheasal last night. My only issue, though, was that when I plugged in the 9v tap, I was losing power. Normally, I have my Sonic Titan where I put my Rooster last night and I've never had a problem. Does the Rooster draw more power than the Titan? Could there be an issue with the 9v tap on my Rooster? Any thoughts?
friendlybunny

Post by friendlybunny »

That's weird. I had something similar happen with my new Candy Apple Rooster. When it is plugged into the daisy chain, my power goes out for the entire chain. If I just power it by battery, everything works fine. My Red Baron Rooster doesn't do that. I thought it was just my crappy power source.
TheWarmth

Post by TheWarmth »

I have a Juicebox, which is a pretty nice power source. I tried the Rooster in ISO 1, which has three other pedals in it and when I plugged it in all of the pedals powered by that section of the supply went out. I switched it to ISO 2, which I think I only have my Klon going into (will have to double check) and the same thing happened. I thought it was pretty weird. My gut tells me that the Rooster doesn't draw more power than a Titan and I've never had an issue like this before. Hopefully the Captain will chime in.
happiass

Re: Red Rooster Power Draw?

Post by happiass »

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me will chime in, but I believe the Rooster has positive grounding, so it can't be daisy chained. I'm pretty sure this also means that if you're using a power supply with isolated outputs you have to use one of them to power the Rooster ONLY.
TheWarmth

Post by TheWarmth »

Crap. If this is the case, it looks like I'm going to have to go with batteries to power it. Bummer.
The Captain

Post by The Captain »

Yarp. Newer Rooster, positive grounding. Sez so in the Manual. :whistle:

All D*A*M's have the same DC tap pin out. Negative centre, positive ring. The Rooster, The Bee and The Fuzz Sound all have positive grounding so need to be isolated from negative grounded effects, which the majority of pedals are, regardless of pin-out.

If you run positive and negative grounded effects off the same un-isolated supply then they cancel each other out. Bam! Nothing.

I guess this be the Juice Box of which you speak?

If so, ISO 1 and 2 are all paralleled, it would seem, so the Rooster needs to be in ISO 3 or 4 or in ISO bank 1 or 2 with other positive ground effects only.

:party:
TheWarmth

Post by TheWarmth »

Yes, that's the unit I'm using. Thanks the the quick response, Dave!
The Captain

Post by The Captain »

BTW - For the moneys, if anyone's in the market to buy a new supply, I would recommend the T-Rex Fuel Tank Junior, or the regular Fuel Tank if you has lots of pedals.

Each DC out is fully Isolated. :party:
Laundromat

Post by Laundromat »

Guys! Using a Rooster (or fuzzes especially) with a power supply is like plugging your cell phone to the charger each time you make a call.
Batteries, they exist for a reason. :party:
Condolences, the bums lost!
TheWarmth

Post by TheWarmth »

Laundromat wrote:Guys! Using a Rooster (or fuzzes especially) with a power supply is like plugging your cell phone to the charger each time you make a call.
Batteries, they exist for a reason. :party:
Sorry, but my pedalboard is tight and I play a lot. I can't deal with worrying about whether or not my batteries are about to die (although it looks like I'll be doing that with my Rooster). I doubt I'd be able to tell much of a difference between battery and 9v tap, much less the people watching the band.