MKII into distorted amp?

Ask a question...get some answers

Moderator: The Captain

thesjkexperience

MKII into distorted amp?

Post by thesjkexperience »

I was wondering if the MKII will work into a single channel amp that is already driving on its own?
Steal a little and they throw you in jail. Steal a lot and they make you a King. -- Bob Dylan

"ripped out of the sky reforming thought into creation electric motion begins" - Linzi
The Captain

Re: MKII into distorted amp?

Post by The Captain »

Yes and no. Depends how distorted really. Best call would be the cleaner the better. The MKII will usually start to bag out, get flabby, loose definition on bass strings when you have too much gain before it. You may want this though?!!? Makes for an interesting tone. I would say having a clean amount of headroom would be preferred for the optimum tone. :tu:
Graham

Re: MKII into distorted amp?

Post by Graham »

The Captain wrote:Yes and no. Depends how distorted really. Best call would be the cleaner the better. The MKII will usually start to bag out, get flabby, loose definition on bass strings when you have too much gain before it. You may want this though?!!? Makes for an interesting tone. I would say having a clean amount of headroom would be preferred for the optimum tone. :tu:
Here's a tip from Graham's secret "Tome of Tonal Titivation":

Getting fed up by too much fuzz?? or should that be not enough headroom?? (often the same deal!) Never forget that as a pedal freak you always have other options - a treble booster or eq box (guess who just got a pretty green Boss DB-5?? :marx: ) those take the filth back down a level but clean things up enough to let you have a little fun plumbing new depths from your fuzzbox - I'm rather fond of smaller amps and its often pretty difficult to find enough headroom with say an old single 6V6 Valco or a tweed Champ ~ particularly if using a powerful fuzz or chunky pickup like an old P90 or something of a humbuckery nature - hey presto bring yourself a little "artificial headroom" and discover new depths or even previously unknown "hidden delights" in your fuzzbox of choice.... you can even try using a "half cocked" wah in a pinch!! :hyper: or just plug into a bigger amp :listening: