Collaborations with originators.

Moderator: The Captain

walkingtiger

Re: Sola Sound Tone Bender MKI

Post by walkingtiger »

walkingtiger

Post by walkingtiger »

I’m hoping the second batch of MKI’s is a reality and will be dropping sometime this year! Been saving and dreaming even though they could already spoken for, but ignorance is bliss baby!

Has anyone landed Steve’s new iteration of Ant’s System yet? Wondering if he tuned them to sound open and hairy like the original which was demoed on the attached video of the real deal. I’m assuming when Ant demoed the new pedal, he cranked the fuzz to get the over biased velcro tones, while the original was played with the fuzz dial lower down? For anyone who’s put it through the paces and explored the range, it would be awesome to hear what you’ve found!

Thank you and may the fuzz be with you!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_contin ... e=emb_logo
Tin Shack King

Post by Tin Shack King »

2018 D*A*M “System”.
The hype was real.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.57 MiB) Viewed 1837 times
walkingtiger

Post by walkingtiger »

Tin Shack King wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:55 pm 2018 D*A*M “System”.
The hype was real.
Damn congrats dude! Ended up scoring a Stu version which I can’t be happier with!!! It would have been absolutely killer to score a Pigdog as well though! I’m sure you’re enjoying the hell out of it man!!! They were def already spoken for by the time I posted that link, so consider yourself a lucky soul my man! I’m sure it’s one inspiring beast!
Tin Shack King

Post by Tin Shack King »

Thanks, walkingtiger! It just landed today, and I'm still putting it through the paces at home. I'm really excited to hear what it sounds like in a band context at our next jam. Sonically, it's definitely the most gated/compressed of the various Mk1 builds I already have (hot SoCal temperatures?) but still usable sounds at pretty much all settings of the attack. I'm absolutely thrilled to say the least. . . .
Last edited by Tin Shack King on Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Freed

Post by Freed »

A question for those who would know…
I have a first batch system here and there is a ton of loud crackle and freak out when I sweep the volume knob (regardless of all Attack settings) is this normal
behavior or is something not quite right?
squarewave

Post by squarewave »

Yep normal
Insta @drewcifer01 @lavafangs @andrew_sings_solo
The Captain

Post by The Captain »

Dig it! Cool new (not new) project 9.1. AKA - It's all true, Dave is actually a necromancer of fuzz devices. AKA - Lighter fluid, magic and the supernatural for optimum health benefits. AKA - Do it or do not, there is no try. AKA - I spent longer on this project than Crowley did at Boleskine.

Documenting happenings of yore. This ship has sailed - it is presented for information purposes only.

doa.JPG
doa.JPG (382.15 KiB) Viewed 940 times
In August 2016 I received the most heavily distressed fuzz box I have ever seen. A Sola Sounds Ltd Tone Bender MKI that affectionately became known as 'the ashtray'. The bottom half of the enclosure had long since gone and the remaining top section, thankfully complete with all the relevant wiring, had sat purposefully on a shelf in someone's shed for several decades being used as, an ashtray. I find the pungent oily electronic scent of vintage pedals rather pleasing, this on the other hand was different. Wet cigar smoke and four decades worth of decaying lawn clippings is something else.

The ashtray was in critical condition and needed invasive surgical procedures to save its life. The entire circuit board and all attached components were carefully dismantled, and even more carefully cleaned. The potentiometers and the switch were stripped down into their individual parts and treated to some of that even more careful cleaning. It was taken back to nothing.
The golden faceplate and associated rust was forever frozen in time under several layers of sealing lacquer.
This intense operation was all the more vital as this particular MKI was fitted with two black glass Mullard semiconductors and a single Texas Instrument device, rather than the more 'usually' seen single Mullard twin Texas arrangement. A rare bird amongst rare birds.

...some time later. The deed was done. Voltage once again seared through those magical semiconductors and the most glorious sounds were to be heard. Mountainous waves of full-bodied distortion travelled through the cosmos towards my earthly ears. The ashtray was no more, a Phoenix had arisen.
Component drift can be the terror of all terrors for the vintage fuzz connoisseur. Time had been kind to this one. The suitable shift in resistance and capacitance within the make-up of the Phoenix forgave characteristics of a unique nature. Notably, a fuller spread of the low frequency registers, along with a very even travel of available fuzz tones across the Attack control rotation. Simply put, Father time had made it tonally richer with a greater degree of controllability. As Bob always says, happy accidents.

PHOE_MKI_1122_015.JPG
PHOE_MKI_1122_015.JPG (334.09 KiB) Viewed 940 times
The Phoenix project circa September 2022 contained 49 pieces made by myself, David A Main. The construction process and method of parts selection pays homage to the vintage Phoenix. Aside from the NOS Mullard/Philips germanium semiconductors, all components within the 2022 Phoenix are brand-new high specification parts. All have been selected for the peak of performance, longevity and the utmost in reliability. The nature and behaviour of the vintage Phoenix are simulated through resistance and capacitance matching, and through countless hours of transistor testing that match both gain and leakage parameters.

The chosen transistors for this project consist of two Mullard OC82D devices and a single Mullard/Philips OC81DM. These devices are from the Sola Sound stock of germanium semiconductors that consists of literally thousands of ex-military NOS British made Mullard parts. This resource goldmine along with the years of research dedicated to the subject matter by myself make the 2022 Phoenix sonically rich in vintage heritage and both able to withstand the march of time. The experience of playing through this pedal will be akin to using a high value vintage piece, but with the reassurance your investment will be safe for many years to come.

PHOE_MKI_1122_012.JPG
PHOE_MKI_1122_012.JPG (350.21 KiB) Viewed 940 times
PHOE_MKI_1122_016.JPG
PHOE_MKI_1122_016.JPG (305.33 KiB) Viewed 940 times
PHOE_MKI_1122_001.JPG
PHOE_MKI_1122_001.JPG (395.88 KiB) Viewed 940 times
PHOE_MKI_1122_002.JPG
PHOE_MKI_1122_002.JPG (347.45 KiB) Viewed 940 times
PHOE_MKI_1122_017.JPG
PHOE_MKI_1122_017.JPG (227.88 KiB) Viewed 940 times
PHOE_MKI_1122_006.JPG
PHOE_MKI_1122_006.JPG (280.95 KiB) Viewed 940 times
PHOE_MKI_1122_022.JPG
PHOE_MKI_1122_022.JPG (284.6 KiB) Viewed 940 times
PHOE_MKI_1122_013.JPG
PHOE_MKI_1122_013.JPG (321.14 KiB) Viewed 940 times
PHOE_MKI_1122_014.JPG
PHOE_MKI_1122_014.JPG (276.07 KiB) Viewed 940 times
PHOE_MKI_1122_023.JPG
PHOE_MKI_1122_023.JPG (352.5 KiB) Viewed 940 times
:party:
Markusgit81

Post by Markusgit81 »

Thanks for the insights and photos. It is my favorite pedal. Not only the sound but also the looks, craftsmanship and the story are superb. Thanks Dave.
Attachments
IMG_0186.jpeg
IMG_0186.jpeg (989.13 KiB) Viewed 930 times
squarewave

Post by squarewave »

I’m ignoring the “this ship has sailed” and will forever remain hopeful. Amazing work Dave!
Insta @drewcifer01 @lavafangs @andrew_sings_solo